HV20/M2 (full res frame grabs) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #16
Major Player

Clearly the chip is there. The biggest challenges with the HV20 are simply how to use a consumer-oriented camera in filmmaking. You really have to dig to figure out how to disable all the auto functions, and the lack of precise controls (zoom numbers, etc.) make consistent setup a little more involved.

I think where it will shine is in mainstream applications/shooting scenarios. Where it may be a little more challenging is in the fringe shooting cases, such as extreme low lighting, high latitude shots, etc. where you don't have the kinds of controls available in more pro-oriented cameras.

It also seems to be a pretty meaningful step down the path of a simpler camera and more everywhere else. I almost think of it as a "shooting raw" kind of acquisition tool, where the cinema look (35mm lenses, cinema gamma, etc.) is done elsewhere instead of the camera. Fortunately, the tools are there to make this a reality today.
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Valente View Post
Taylor stopped by and I snapped this pic of his rig:

Awesome pics Taylor. Thanks for posting them.
Brian - a couple of questions about using the M2 with my HV20:
1. I'm going to add a Beachtek adapter for XLR inputs. (Probably the DXA-2s). You probably don't know this specifically yet, but I'm wondering what effect adding an adapter will have on lining up the M2 with the camera. The DXA-2s for instance raises the camera 1.25" above the tripod mount. It looks like there's enough room with the M2 but just checking.
2. What's the deal with using Canon EOS lenses with the Brevis (or any other 35mm adapter.) You cannot manually set the apeture on these lenses so how is that adjusted? (I ask b/c I have several Canon EOS lenses and would like to not have to buy new lenses.)
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Peter

as you can see from the pic you need to raise the camera anyways 5/8" (3/4" is shown in the pic, but it looked a tad tall when we took it out). It depends on where you mount the Beachtek - if it's beneath the rods, it would be the setup you see here. You could also mount it between the camera and rod system, which just means you would need to raise the rods a bit.

On the canon EOS, the electronic aperture in the lens means you shoot wide open. There is a thread on the redrock site about a mod Tatt Si has been working on that allows you to control aperture, which is here:

http://redrockmicro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3137
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #19
Major Player

Peter - after thinking a bit, it's probably better if you put the beachtek beneath the baseplate. It will make for a rock solid setup.

Cheers

Brian
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Valente View Post
On the canon EOS, the electronic aperture in the lens means you shoot wide open. There is a thread on the redrock site about a mod Tatt Si has been working on that allows you to control aperture, which is here:

http://redrockmicro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3137
OMG - just looking at that guy's setup makes my eye twitch! I think I'll just buy a couple of old Nikon or Minolta lens that have manual apeture adjustment ;-)

Which baseplate are you referring to in your previous post?
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #21
New Boot

newbie explanation?

Hi!
just wondering if someone could breakdown the advantage of this setup for a newbie like myself...

is this so you can get seperate better aperture/shutter adjustment?
where do you get one of these?

thanks!
-Josh
Josh Reiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #22
Regular Crew

How much would an M2 kit for the HV20 cost, and would i need to venture to any 3rd party website to get anything that Redrock might not have like a ring for the HV20's small thread screw mount????
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Michael

A complete kit including rod support system, adapter, lens mount, and achromat, along with a quick release plate is $1295.

you can get the step-up ring (I believe it's 43-55mm and then 55mm-72mm) at adapterrings.com

Cheers

Brian
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for the info! I am thinking of selling the XL2 for an HV20 with one of your adapters! I have seen great results from these 2 (HV20, M2) both together and alone (M2 with other cams like HVX) and its very cool to even think that technology has brought us to a camera about the size of a small shoe to give images as good as a camera 4x its size!

Mike
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #25
Major Player

Hi Mike

yeah, it's a really fascinating camera. One one hand it's got this amazing image. On the other hand it's a consumer camera, so you end up focusing less on all the settings and knobs, since there basically aren't any :)

I am working with Alex Nikishin (the camera op from ILLEGAL) on any fine-tuning of our setup this week, and expect to have some clips from our work.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM   #26
Major Player

Michael, if you do work with the bare cam, selling your XL2 for an HV20 might be a bit disappointing. As an adapter cam, it's great...but wouldn't compare to the XH-A1 in terms of "bare" cam shooting with respect to image controls and audio. As Brian has mentioned already, the the HV20 is just an imaging engine (like any cam) when used with a 35mm lens adapter, so it's shortcomings are not that evident in that mode.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:28 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I thought the Letus35 flip enhanced took care of the flip maybe i got it wrong
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #28
Regular Crew

forgive my ignorance.

but i'm very interested in purchasing an HV20 to put a lens adaptor on it. what's the difference between the the M2 and the redrock micro? other than a nice comfy shoulder mount.
Luca Furgiuele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #29
Major Player

Hi Luca

Redrock Micro is the company - M2 is the cinema lens adapter (as in the micro35 version 2)

Cheers

Brian
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #30
Regular Crew

i just now realized this.
what i meant is what's the difference between the M2 and the micro35. this one:
http://rebelsguide.com/dl/hv20-hh.jpg

this picture has been popping up just about everywhere.
Luca Furgiuele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders