HV20 Swamp Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Contributor

HV20 Swamp Footage

some footage i shot over the weekend out at Caddo Lake. 3 movies, each are the same, but at a different resolution so you can watch the SD version before you bite off the big one. it's about 15 min long.

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hv20/caddo/

Check it out. I'm planning to get back there ASAP, as last weekend it was in the 30s/40s and didn't make for good exploring. I also got the chance to check the footage out on an HDTV while i was out there and it looked much better on the tv than on my monitor.
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
New Boot

I watched a little of the SD version. I like all the greens. Reminds me of the location for the movie 'Southern Comfort' with Powers Boothe. Great flick.

This looks like 60i. Did you have this on the HDV 24fps setting or 30fps? Were you in a boat and was it all handheld? Fantastic location.
Mark Patrick Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The footage looks great and flows well with the audio....

whats the name of the song??
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Incredible footage. The enviroment looks amazing and the shots are very stable. O_o

I want to know if it was handheld too.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #5
New Boot

I just finished downloading the full size clip, and it will not play. I tried Media Player Classic, VLC, and Quicktime Player.
John
John Kristoffersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #6
New Boot

The same problem here. :/
Andreas Dahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

me three...
Jason Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #8
Contributor

video problems

ok it wouldn't dl for me either, so i'll upload a zipped version with par files.

it's uploading and should be up in about 4 hours. i'll post up again when it's ready.

i shot all it on a tripod. i just took the boat out and would get a little head of steam and then shut it down and let the drifting do the panning for me. and on some of the other moving shots i was sitting in the front of the boat holding the tripod against my body so the bottom of the center column was about on my chest and 2 of the legs were resting on top of my legs.

i shot it all 60i and then deinterlaced this stuff for the web.

the songs are blowout and over the line repectively, both by crystal method.

it's a photography's dream out there, it's 25,000 some odd acres of swamp/lake. i've only been able to cover a marginal amount in my short weekend trips up there. i'm hoping to break away from work and spend a week or 2 up there and get deep in the swamp and see what there is to see.
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm assuming you deinterlaced to 30fps??

Is this is norm for processing 60i video???

I'm looking to get into post processing.
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #10
New Boot

Nice nature and images too but the whole video looks like a little bit soft ..thanks.
Arvid Kraght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Contributor

swamp

it's the down rez'ing and compression, i've got one more tape i'm capturing right now, and i'll post up some full rez screen shots. the compression flattens the color a bit too.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Parenti View Post
I'm assuming you deinterlaced to 30fps??

Is this is norm for processing 60i video???

I'm looking to get into post processing.
it really depends on what the final format is going to be. if the final product is for web, then it's good to deinterlace, as it will cause some weirdness on progressive screens, but if you're final will be seen on a regular interlaced tv then you don't need to worry about it. i'm amazed how much less crisp this stuff looks on my comp verses an HDTV, which makes me really want to get an hdtv. the interlacing is also apparent in the 24p stuff with the pulldown in place, on a comp it looks like every 2 frames are screwed up, but on an interlaced screen you'd never know.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Regular Crew

So let's say in my case my final output would be to my 1080p 37" LCD screen. I would most def. want to render 60i to 30p correct?? In your case what did you render final output to "i" or "p"?? Was it 30p??

When rendering 60i to 30p do you leave yourself open to artifacting because the program has to take the 2 fields and make one whole frame out of it??

I also noticed in your video that at some points it looks like you used a strobe effect or stutter effect. Was that done in post processing.. particularly at 7:40min - 7:50min....
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #14
Contributor

that is correct. in my case since the final product for this is the web, i made it Progressive. as far as artifacting i haven't noticed any using FCP's deinterlacer. there might be someone out there who knows better than me, i'm fairly new to messing with interlaced stuff as i always shot in frame mode with my previous cams so it wasn't an issue. and worse come to worst you can play progressive stuff on an interlaced tv, it just won't be as smooth as the interlaced stuff.
Old April 12th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #15
Contributor

1080 footage posted now

the 1080 stuff is posted. it's zipped and par'd.

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hv2...ddo%201080.zip
769mb

check it out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders