Pal Hv20 Shipping Now In The Uk! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 20th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #16
Major Player

I do suspect Gremlins in the machinery - but I just received an email telling me that I can collect the Cam TOMORROW! Sounds too good 2 be true! But you never know!

Guess I'll have a hard time sleeping tonight!

//Lz
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM   #17
New Boot

hi there just got my hv20 in the uk
man is it small and fiddly buttons but what i want to know is how do i download in camera wth the hdv footage i shot to dv to export to my computer as i cant seem to find it anywhere in the menu

anybody help please

thanks john
John Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Mine is shipping tomorrow :)

so excited....

I will still have my HV10 so can do some low light comparisons etc if anyone is interested
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:57 PM   #19
New Boot

I ordered mine on saturday and they shipped it this morning!
Should get it by wednesday, oh joy! :D

But the online shops seem to have really limited amounts here in germany...
David Grieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:36 PM   #20
New Boot

i have now sussed how to use the joystick and menus and get all i need, like
any new piece of kit just a learning curve played around a bit only inside but
it was not much of a test soon as weather gits good i will kick ass with it and
maybe do side by side test with my sony 3ccd camera for comparisons on picture quality if time permits.
John Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I got mine yesterday evening, did some shooting inside and outside, and the quality and feel is fantastic.

In the semi-dark / dark outdoors, it turns the gain up very much, and the pixel noise is very clear, unfortunately more patterned than random. Vertical and horizontal lines it looks like. Auto focus gave up a little earlier in darkness than I had expected. But infinity focus worked ok.

25p cinema mode is great, and the way to keep realistic lighting. And 25p is great in VLC, but I need to do more i vs p tests to find out when to use what.

It does take time to change settings, but I am also just learning the Canon. I have had 2 Sonys before (PC-7e and PC-10e).

I found the same bug I already saw reported. Time format is american with AM/PM, instead of standard 24h clock. This I want fixed in a firmware upgrade.

Will pick up a miniSD card today even though I do not expect to use it much for photography. I will probably need it later for the firmware upgrade anyway.

I have seen a little stuttering on playback on the camera itself. Like it skipped some frames and jumped forward. But no frame drops or anything during capture. Maybe the CPU is a little slow ? I hope not.

I will post some video within the next few days.
Povl H. Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks Povl

1 more hour till mine arrives....

Are there any interlacing artifacts in VLC when playing back 25p m2t's?
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I don't really see any 25p artifacts in VLC. It just plays it nicely.
But the 1080i is a different matter, here I clearly see the interlacing on my Mac.

So for working on the computer it is like night and day. 25p just works perfectly. No pulldown or anything. 50i has all the ugly lines offset from each other with movement. I don't understand why anybody would use 1080i, except maybe if the target is TV.
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #24
Major Player

Yes I too can confirm that 25p plays back flawlessly without the need to deinterlace :)

People use 50i over 25p mainly for movement reasons. 25p introduces noticable judder, 50i is smoother. Personally Im looking forward to 1080-50p ;)
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povl H. Pedersen View Post
I have seen a little stuttering on playback on the camera itself. Like it skipped some frames and jumped forward. But no frame drops or anything during capture. Maybe the CPU is a little slow ? I hope not.

It shouldn't be doing that. Keep an eye on it and make sure it's not some kind of head clog. If it doesn't go away, I'd swap it out. I don't see this on mine at all.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povl H. Pedersen View Post
I don't really see any 25p artifacts in VLC. It just plays it nicely.
But the 1080i is a different matter, here I clearly see the interlacing on my Mac.

So for working on the computer it is like night and day. 25p just works perfectly. No pulldown or anything. 50i has all the ugly lines offset from each other with movement. I don't understand why anybody would use 1080i, except maybe if the target is TV.

I watch all of my footage on my 50" plasma, so for me 1080i does indeed look best.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Since 1080i looks better on plasma, I assume it is not 1080p compatible ? Or is it smoother action ? Can you freeze the picture as I can on my Samsung LCD ? And in that case can you see a difference ?

I am interested in finding out what the best long time solution is, as I will be recording stuff for the coming baby.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #28
Trustee

My Fujitsu plasma will not accept a 1080p input. Yes, I can very effectively freeze any part of the video and get an extremely sharp freeze frame. However, in most cases, regardless of the TV, action will be smoother in 50i as opposed to 25p. Using normal HDV mode as opposed to 24p (in my case), any kind of motion is buttery smooth.
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #29
New Boot

My PAL HV20 arrived this morning. I've been babysitting the kids so haven't had a proper play with it but I filmed a little bit of the school football training in various modes and tried walking around to search for some wobbles. The quality was stunning, compared to my old 3-chip Sony SD camera (TRV900). I preferred the interlaced to the progressive mode for both the action shots and for panning. I thought cine mode looked too flat and dull but maybe I need to experiment.

No significant juddering or wobbling beyond what one would expect.

Very impressed so far. Played some back on my HD projector (96" screen)... wow!

Andrew
Andrew Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #30
New Boot

Please someone can post some footage of HV 20 pal version?
thanks
fabrizio
Fabrizio Fabbri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders