Is anyone planning to use Photoshop CS3 extended? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 20th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1
New Boot

Is anyone planning to use Photoshop CS3 extended?

I was told in this forum that Photoshop editing for video is "crazy speak".
To paraphrase Dirty Harry:
Well, is it? : )
Laurentiu Todie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'll use photoshop as PART of my editing package... custom making my own menus, setting up for inkjet dvd printing, some minor touch up on any stills that I use, to redraw small sections of video... but for overall editing, no. There are better choices for that.
George Anthonisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks!
What choice would that be?
I'm not familiar with video editing.
Is there anything close to curves, color fill and masking?
Laurentiu Todie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

There are quite a few depending on the power of your machine, the size of your wallet and the depth of your knowledge. I have Avid liquid 7, Sony vegas 7, (both about $500 each and geared more to the knowledgeable) Ulead media studio pro 8 (about $300), Pinnacle studio 10.7, and the version 9 (both about $80 each and 9 doesn't work with HD)

Of those, I very much prefer Sony Vegas... bloody good program and a pretty slick interface.... powerful too, and the most solid. Liquid and studio are good (liquid being the big brother to studio and more complicated) but they are very much hardware Dependant so be sure you look at the hardware requirements.... slightly buggy too... but then they all are.

There are others... Sony for example has a little brother to Vegas 7 called Sony Vegas Movie Studio (about $120) which is also pretty good, and then there is the other Ulead products... but to be honest I have found the lower end ulead product to be the most buggy (my opinion only)

But they all have free trial periods so I suggest you spend some time on each one before you buy... it'll be your editor so YOU must be the one happy with it.
George Anthonisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #5
New Boot

wow

thanks for the detailed answer
Laurentiu Todie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders