HV20 reliability as a VCR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM   #1
Trustee

HV20 reliability as a VCR?

I own a Canon XL-H1 and an HV20. Obviously the HV20 is intended to be used as a VCR primarily and a home movie type of camera whenever possible. Here is my issuse.

Dropouts. Plain and simple. Well....not so simple.

You see, tapes I have recorded in the H1 have dropouts frequently when playing on the HV20. We are talking on the magnitude of 7-8 in a 15 Minute span. However rewinding and playing back they do not occur in the same spots. It is a spontaneous playback glitch. The tape is fine when played back in the XLH1 but when in the HV20 it seems to have problems regularly.

This also happens to tapes that are recorded in the HV20. I shot 7 minutes at my nephews bowl-a-thon for charity and there were at least 8 dropouts when viewing from the HDMI port to LCD. Playing it back again they are always in slightly different spots.

I then proceeded to capture this using Cineform and there were only 2 places where a dropout occurred. I lost 1-2 seconds and the clips that this occurred on were split in half. Going back and vieweing these sections on the tape show no droputs and recapturing them is fine. The problem here is that I want reliable capture of my footage....not split scenes and lost seconds of clips all the time.

I ran a head cleaner through the unit as soon as I got it but so far it still seems somewhat unreliable.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've had the same issue. I wasn't sure if it was the cheap consumer grade tape or dirty heads. I forgot to clean the heads before using my HX A1 and HV20 for the first time.

My plan is to recapture some of the footage and see if it is the tape or the HV20.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Trustee

For me it is clearly the HV20 so far. The same tapes play fine in the H1. I can watch a 10 minute segment on the HV20 and I see a few dropouts. I rewind it back and play it again and the ones I saw before are gone and there are new ones in new places. A 3rd time will get even different results.

In the H1 I do not see any. This happens in tapes that were recorded on the HV20 and the H1 so signs point to a tape playback head problem on the HV20....IMHO.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Major Player

marty,

i've found that keeping the lcd open introduces playback stuttering when video is output via the component cable. if it's some internal bandwidth issue as i suspect, keeping the lcd closed during the capture process might help.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #5
New Boot

Interesting, I have shot about 25 hours of video with my XL-H1 and never seen a dropout. I use Panasonic Professional AY-DVM60XJ tape. I was looking forward to getting a HV10 or 20 to use as a vcr but now I will wait to see how this issue works out.
Terry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Johnson View Post
I was looking forward to getting a HV10 or 20 to use as a vcr but now I will wait to see how this issue works out.
In the interest of making sure this does not turn into FUD, this is not necessarily a known problem. I am experiencing it for sure. But I think there are many other out there that do not experience this. So please don't jump to any conclusions based on what I am seeing so far.

In regards to the tape stock......I find this is not happening at the same spots on the tape. Playing the same thing over 3 times will get dropouts in different areas each time. The parts that dropped out the first time play fine for the next 2. So there is a randomness to it that is not directly related to a spot on the tape that is weak or corrupt.

I'm inclined to think Henry is thinking in the right direction with it being a potential bandwidth issue.....kinda how digital cable stutters once in a while because of network congestion. I do keep my LCD closed when viewing or capturing.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders