Change shutter speed in cine mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Change shutter speed in cine mode?

Hi all

I have just got my HV20 woo hoo!
Its taking a bit of getting used to as its actually quite different to the HV10. In some ways I actually find the HV10 easier to hold...

anyway - when I first tried the HV20 I thought I managed while in 25p and cine mode to also change the shutter speed (up to 120), however after playing with the menu for a bit I cant remember how I did it?

Am I going mad or is it possible to change the shutter speed manually while in cine mode and 25/24p?? If not what is it set at? Is it 25 or 50 (cant make up my mind but hope it isnt 25!!!!)

Thanks
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Try here ... look for the reference to the cellphone trick

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....2&postcount=39

From http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=cine+48
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Major Player

i don't believe you can control shutter speed in cine mode. tv mode is the only mode you have manual control of shutter. cine mode defaults to 1/48 but the camera will automatically change that value as it sees fit based on exposure.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Ok thanks guys - for some reason I thought I could see the shutter speed option on the top left just by the cine mode indicator. Well I will give the lock trick a try!

I am pretty happy with the cine mode though - it picks lots of details which are over exposed in normal mode. I have used the standard sony sharpen tool in Vegas on raw cine footage and it looks really good (I find it a little too soft otherwise)
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson View Post
Ok thanks guys - for some reason I thought I could see the shutter speed option on the top left just by the cine mode indicator. Well I will give the lock trick a try!

I am pretty happy with the cine mode though - it picks lots of details which are over exposed in normal mode. I have used the standard sony sharpen tool in Vegas on raw cine footage and it looks really good (I find it a little too soft otherwise)
Cine Mode is too soft for me too. That, combined with the fact I can't control shutter speed, means I don't use it. To control highlights, I've turned down the brightness and contrast in the custom settings.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders