HV10 and HV20: Different Batteries? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV10 and HV20: Different Batteries?

Do the HV10 and HV20 use interchangeable batteries?

My research into the subject indicates "no" but I'd like to get that firmed up before I take the plunge.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #2
New Boot

the batteries are different

The HV10 takes the BP-310 or BP-315. The BP-310 comes with it and the 315 lasts about twice as long. Search the Canon site and you can download the manual for both camcorders.

There are charts predicting how long the battery may last for several chores, but they also suggest you expect only 1/3 or 1/2 the time. Their values are when you just turn-it-on-and-see-how-long-it-runs. Expect that you will start/zoom/pause/stop/review, etc.

The HV20 comes with the BP-2L13. You can also use the NB-2LH (which powers several of the Canon digital camers, too) or the BP-2L14. The charts show that the 2LH runs about 60% as long as the stock battery and the 2L14 last 20% longer than the stock battery.

I have a Canon PowerShot S80 which uses the NB-2LH. It's charger also charges the BP-2L13 "off camera".
Neil Groundwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Neil. I just bought an HV20 from a big box store for *very cheap* and I'm excited to get working. Too bad they didn't make the accessories compatible. Either that's good business for Canon (i.e. making your customers buy more high profit accesories) or bad business (upsetting regular customers like me who know that Sony would used the same battery format for similarly sized cams).

I plan on getting an HV10 as a more pocket sized second cam. If all goes well, the HV20 will live attached to the Letus and the HV10 will operate as a run and gun for a doc I'm working on.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

Neil:

Just wanting to confirm that your charger will work with the batteries for the HV20--is it this charger?

Thanks, been looking for a solution for a while as I'm not happy having to use the camera to charge the batteries!
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Yes -- and the CB-2LT will work as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders