Cineform HDLink Preference Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 30th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #1
New Boot

Cineform HDLink Preference Settings

I'm just getting started w/ the HV20 and am using Vegas 7c and the demo version of Cineform HDLink. I have tried to remove pulldown by both converting and by direct capture in HDLink. I have very fast-moving footage and I can see significant ghosting. Is this due to interlacing, or could this be motion blur with 24p recording? The frame rate does end up being 24fps, but I really think Cineform is having issues with interlacing or detecting the wrong cadence. What settings are people using for conversion or direct capture with Cineform HDLink? The output 24fps files definitely don't look progressive and ghosting is rediculous.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Marc Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Marc,

What shutter speed/settings did you use? can you post a frame or a few seconds of footage.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM   #3
New Boot

I haven't manually changed many of the settings. From the box, I put the camcorder in 24p mode and used the Cinema setting.

I'll post some frames and/or footage when I get home later tonight. I really don't think it is motion blur, because there are no tails on the image. It is more like seeing a ghost from a analog tv air signal that has been reflected. If I step through the footage, and someone is moving fast I can see where they were the frame before. I am obviously new to this forum, so can you tell me the best way to post attachments?
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Marc,

With the 3:2 pulldown filter active, HDLink has been confirmed to work with the HV20. If would like us to see the image, upload a few second long motion clip to yousendit.com as we can see if the issue if the shooting practice or the pulldown removal.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the site reference. Like I said, I will definitely do that later tonight. Are the settings regarding interlaced, progressive, or automatic relevant in this situation? Also, do I need to tell it to deinterlace 1080i. I have tried various combinations and am seeing some improvements in different situations, but it still looks like interlaced to me. I guess I will have to just let you experts take a look at my frames. Thanks for the responses!
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Marc,

No de-interlace is needed if you shoot progressive. Pulldown has obvious cadence. Capture a short M2T with no conversion, then using the convert tab convert with the pulldown off then convert again with the pulldown on -- then compare. View in a tool that will show you 1:1 pixels like VirtualDub, and you will see the difference.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM   #7
New Boot

Okay. I have been using media player classic to step through the frames. I'll let you know the results. Thanks.

Marc
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ramirez View Post
I'm just getting started w/ the HV20 and am using Vegas 7c and the demo version of Cineform HDLink. I have tried to remove pulldown by both converting and by direct capture in HDLink. I have very fast-moving footage and I can see significant ghosting. Is this due to interlacing, or could this be motion blur with 24p recording? The frame rate does end up being 24fps, but I really think Cineform is having issues with interlacing or detecting the wrong cadence. What settings are people using for conversion or direct capture with Cineform HDLink? The output 24fps files definitely don't look progressive and ghosting is rediculous.
Thanks for the help in advance.
Marc, is your playback time line in Vegas is set to 23.976 or 24 frames/sec? You will see ghosting in your video editor if the time line doesn't perfectly match the footage.
Derek Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Green View Post
Marc, is your playback time line in Vegas is set to 23.976 or 24 frames/sec? You will see ghosting in your video editor if the time line doesn't perfectly match the footage.
Derek, which one are you suggesting to use (24 or 23.976)?
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Very few camera under $20k shoot 24p exactly, SI-2K mini is the only one I know of, all other "24p" cameras shoot at 23.976p. You timeline should match the camera's frame rate.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM   #11
New Boot

I understand to match the frame rate in Sony Vegas.

I did notice the problem after exporting from Vegas, but then went back and was only looking at the .avi files captured/converted with HVLink. I have therefore narrowed down the problem to my camera or software capture/conversion settings. It has nothing to do with Vegas. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:43 PM   #12
New Boot

Okay, there is some really weird stuff going on. I have a feeling that this problem is due to a scene change and possibly the cadence got tricked or something. I'm about to post the mpeg original, converted avi w/o pulldown removed, and converted avi w/ pulldown removed.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Marc,

With the 3:2 pulldown filter active, HDLink has been confirmed to work with the HV20. If would like us to see the image, upload a few second long motion clip to yousendit.com as we can see if the issue if the shooting practice or the pulldown removal.
Hi David. How do you activate the 3:2 pulldown filter in HD link? I have Aspect 4.3 (I think that's it-just updated last week). Do I have to "activate 3:2 pulldown in Aspect as well? I just had Aspect capture into PPro as progressive. It still shows on the clip properties as 29.97fps. Should it be 23.97? The output to DVD looked very good, very little artifacting. Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:25 PM   #14
New Boot

Short Example Files

Origina mpeg captured in Sony Vegas.
http://download.yousendit.com/717721DD0C954D08

Avi Pulldown Removal Enabled
http://download.yousendit.com/07EC2100006516B8

Avi Pulldown Removal Disabled
http://download.yousendit.com/4DF5768B34FC3DE6
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:26 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Paul,

In HDLink on the Preferences page, set checkbox for "Remove 3-2 Pulldown ..." Then you will extract 24p (if you shot that way.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders