24p vs 25p, which one is more filmic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24p vs 25p, which one is more filmic?

Which one is more filmic: 24p or 25p? I live in Asia and will getting a Canon HV20 and it's (of course) going to be PAL version. Should I order NTSC version (24p) or is it ok with the PAL(25p)? Again, sorry for the dumb question =)
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:20 AM   #2
Major Player

PAL is fine. As long as your distribution will be TV channels or DVD or digital projection you will be saving big bucks or time when not shooting in format that your native distribution channels don`t support by default. I live in Europe and any low budget project is done done in 25P rather than 24P even real 16mm and 35mm film projects are done in 25P for distribution`s sake. And if power outlets in your region are putting out 50hz power (and not 60hz like in NTSC land) you wont get that fluorescent flicker too.

Regs,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Tourist

I record in 25p and then slow it down to 24p in Vegas (if I need 24p footage), the great thing is that in HD there is no need to change resolutions anymore, so its the same data just being played back a tad (4.1666 %) slower.
Denis Malyavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The human eye can't detect a difference between 24 and 25 frames per second. So it's not a question of which is more "filmic." Instead, it's really a question of workflow.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with you. In fact, it's only noticeable if you switch between the original 25p and the slowed 24p, because of the audio tone shift (that could be fixed with a tonal correction filter).

That's what happen with all PAL DVD's, and even only a few have a tonal correction process, so... it's barely noticeable.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Right... take away the audio so it's visual only, and you can't tell the difference.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The very big issue to consider for my point of view, apart of some technical things as difference between PAL and NTSC types of HV20, is also the price you can buy it.

Consider that in US, you can buy HV20 at a equivalent cost of 650 Euro and in Japan also at less than 600 Euro, while in Europe you have to spend about a double price, so 1200 Euro.
Take chance to buy HV20 in US or Japan, during travel for business or vacation can be an interesting money saving.

What do you think to use a NTSC type in Europe, recording at 50 Hz AC network and playback to a multistandard HDTV ?
Enrico Sasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I agree with you. In fact, it's only noticeable if you switch between the original 25p and the slowed 24p, because of the audio tone shift (that could be fixed with a tonal correction filter).

That's what happen with all PAL DVD's, and even only a few have a tonal correction process, so... it's barely noticeable.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Tourist

Good thing in Vegas they have automatic pitch correction :)

D.
Denis Malyavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Sasso View Post
Consider that in US, you can buy HV20 at a equivalent cost of 650 Euro and in Japan also at less than 600 Euro, while in Europe you have to spend about a double price, so 1200 Euro.
Dang! You could buy a plane ticket, fly over here and get it and go home and still spend less than in Europe, why the high price?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Malyavin View Post
Good thing in Vegas they have automatic pitch correction :)
D.
Yooooooooooouuuuuuu'rrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhttttttttt....Ddddddeeeennnnnnnnniiiiisssss.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Sasso View Post
Well, I guess it highly depends on where you're located. In Germany you can get it for 920 EUR (lowest price). I ordered mine in my country (Switzerland) for 1400 Swiss Francs (CHF)...thats 850 EUR or 1150 USD.
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #13
New Boot

In Holland around the 850 and 950 euro. but the hv20 isn't still available:-(
Arvid Kraght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I checked about the best price here in North Italy, now 950 Euro, PAL type of course.
Comparing to best price in Tokyo for NTSC, now less than 600 Euro, means
still a difference 350 Euro.

Wes,
I don't know reason of our Europe high price. May be it's only the 1,36 value between US Dollar and Euro ?
For me isn't a big problem to buy it in Tokyo without any plane ticket to buy, only doubts I have is to use an NTSC type with our PAL standard ( not for playback at least, I have a multistandard HDTV, but for some other tech. points like Toenis mentioned i.e. fluorescent flicker )
Have you some other tech. issues can convince me to spend 350 Euro more for a PAL type ?
Enrico Sasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The best thing of the PAL version is the 25p mode, wich works without any pulldown process.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders