Some sample HV20 footage... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Some sample HV20 footage...

I shot both of these over the past few weeks.

First is some footage I shot in New York while on a commercial shoot. I had just purchased the camera and decided to test it out. The camera crew laughed at the HV20 until they saw it played back.

http://gibopictures.com/video/NY_MAD_WORLD.avi
http://gibopictures.com/video/NY_MAD_WORLD.mpg

The avi (15 MB) is a compressed version in case you don't want the muxed ts file (274 MB) - which is the second link. Just right click and "save as".

The video was imported as HDV and edited as HDV. 1080i.

Next is some material I shot for a friend who co-sponsors the CDW Champ Car. He invited me out to the track and I brought the camera to have a little fun.

Shot it at 1080i, transferred it to DVCPROHD (via Sony deck and Intensity card) for the edit, and then output it to mpeg2 ts. The ts is (207mb). Divx avi is(12mb).

http://gibopictures.com/video/Grandprix1.avi

http://gibopictures.com/video/Grandprix1.mpeg

This little camera just amazes me.
Mikon Haaksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Tourist

Very nice video.

I bought a HV20 3 weeks ago and am still waiting to do some sample clips...

Thanks for the sample clips\post.
David Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the compliment. I think you're going to really enjoy this little camera! I'm still figuring out new features and ways of shooting, and I'm still really impressed. I look forward to seeing some of your footage when you get the chance.
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Awesome vids! Nice editing too. I am loving my HV20 so far. Too bad it's nearly impossible to edit the video with my craptacular computer.
Ben Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks! What are you cutting with right now?
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice! The car and street shots were mostly handheld? What setting did you use in that dusk shot in times square? I assume it was all 60i footage. Having a great camera is one thing. Having the eye and skill to compose shots is another.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Mike. I was just looking at your website and your Fig Rig. Very cool!

Yes, believe it or not, I have yet to shoot with a tripod with this camera. I bought a "pod" (beanbag support thingy) which I'd just plop on any surface. I shot a little from inside the van I was in and put it on the dash, but the vibrations were too much for the little camera to handle - so I just cradled the camera in my hands.

I'm trying to remember what settings I had for the Times Square dusk shots, but I believe I had the shutter at 1/60 and manually set the exposure to where it felt "right". Hard to judge sometimes, but I was looking for a happy medium between graininess and crushing blacks. And yes, it was shot 60i. I plan to experiment with 24p in the coming weeks.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Mikon...great shooting. Especially the race car video. Nice music choice too. Looked very professional.

Observation...but those treads on the tires of that car...do they really wear down that fast? Man...they must have a brand new set every race. You can tell I don't know much about the sport.
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Ian!
That's how the tires are made. I believe they are commonly called slicks due to the lack of tread. Because these cars drive at such high speeds and are so aerodynamic, these tires get really sticky from all the friction and help the driver stay on the road surface better. In fact, the day I was there, they told me that they use two types of these tires. One set are called "reds" and have a red stripe on the sidewall, and then another set that don't stick quite as well. In a race, all the drivers have to use both types of tires. I guess that part of the startegy is to know when and for how long you use them. In all, it was a fascinating experience and very very LOUD!
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Mikon, Great footage and top rate editing... can you tell us what program you used for the editing and how you produced the white transition with the blown out frames???

thanks
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ray. Yes, I cut this with Final Cut Pro. I imported the footage via HDMI and a Sony deck to DVCPROHD 1080i. I like this codec and it makes cutting much faster than HDV since it's not GOP based. The flashes were added using CGM DVE Luma Color Dissolve. CGM makes some nice plugs and I've been very pleased with how the luma color dissolve provides a nice, organic white flash.

Hope this helps.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mikon, what settings did you use? 24P, plain HDV? any specific modes?
Norm Goodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just shot it in 60i HDV. No 24p. I recently purchased a 720p lcd screen so now I can try to do some tests with true 24p to see how I like it.
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikon Haaksman View Post
I just shot it in 60i HDV. No 24p. I recently purchased a 720p lcd screen so now I can try to do some tests with true 24p to see how I like it.
Sounds good, do you recall the settings? HDV cine mode, or one of the other modes? I am trying to hone in on what settings work well in low light other than the results I've seen using 24P with Cine Mode in my first test.. thanks
Norm Goodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I didn't use any of the special modes for shooting. I kept the shutter at 60 except for a couple of times with the car footage where I pushed the shutter a bit. Locked the exposure for most of it too.

What is the subject matter you're trying to shoot in low light? Are you just running tests right now?
Mikon Haaksman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders