Some sample HV20 footage... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikon Haaksman View Post
I didn't use any of the special modes for shooting. I kept the shutter at 60 except for a couple of times with the car footage where I pushed the shutter a bit. Locked the exposure for most of it too.

What is the subject matter you're trying to shoot in low light? Are you just running tests right now?
Mikon, I am in test mode, only have had my HV20 for a few days.. In a few weeks going on vacation to Disney World, and some of their evening events I want to capture and get the best quality I can.. So, I am trying to gather some info from those that have done some low light work, as you had in your video, along with some testing.

Another question is fireworks, I know there is a fireworks mode, but wonder if that is really optimal or if some other combination of settings might work better?
Norm Goodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I haven't tested the fireworks mode yet, but I just shot a light show a week ago and followed some advice of other posters by shooting in 24p (just for thenight shots.) I can't say that to my eyes, it looked a lot better than if I'd shot in standard mode. You get to a point where the light levels are so low that it's just going to get a little grainy. I think I'd try to keep the exposure set open as much as possible without getting too grainy and the maybe when you import the footage to edit it, play with the brightness and contrast to remove some of the grain and bring the blacks into a more acceptable level.
Mikon Haaksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #18
Regular Crew

True, when light levels drop, you do the best you can. We'll, I guess I'll have to go out and shoot some more evening videos in various areas in both regular and 24P and see If I can get a feel for which works best.. Hopefully it will give me a sense of how to best video those scenes while on the road... thanks
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #19
Major Player

Very nice. I just grabbed the small versions, but will definitely grab the larger ones when I get a chance during my off peak download time.
Old May 31st, 2007, 05:35 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks, Glenn.

Say, Norm, one thing I will say about the night shooting is that the closer you are to your light source, the cleaner the image seems to be with regard to graininess. When I shot the New York footage, TImes Square is so full of lights, that it was pretty easy to get a clean shot - I just compensated exposure to push the blacks a little. And the subway footage was the same. So when you shoot at Disney and capture the light parade, etc. I imagine it will come out pretty nice. Do you have any place you could test where you live like some shopping strip at night?
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:47 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Do you have any place you could test where you live like some shopping strip at night?
Yes, there are some locations that will simulate that.. though its possible some of the events will be brighter and your right, places like Times Square at night are probably still quite bright because of all the ad lighting..

I did shoot some video a couple days ago and after futzing with it for a couple days, probably because I shot it in 24P, I finally got a reasonable size file to post, though the compression does show.. I posted the link in another thread where I was discussing similar questions.. I add it here too..

http://idisk.mac.com/normang-Public/...nd_main_st.mp4

Will require QuickTime.

Give it a view when you have a chance, let me know what you think..

thanks
Old May 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I think that what you've got looks really good. You either have to set exposure to the lights (so they don't get washed out) or for the people in your video. I'm assuming that you're going for the lights anyway, so it looks like what you shoot at Disney will most likely look really good!
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:06 AM   #23
New Boot

Hey Mikon,

I'm just getting into video and bought myself an HV20. Of course, I've read up on all there is to know about the specs of this camera and how to get it to do what you want. But …

Quote:
it amazes me how you can still talk about the camera. Obviously, it's you that has made this happen. Unbelievable footage and edits. Kudos!
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders