HV20 and my DVX100 XLR connecters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 and my DVX100 XLR connecters

Im wondering if i could use the xlr connecters of my dvx100 to plug in an XLR mic with my HV20 by pluging the mic into my dvx100 and then pumping the audio out the throught the earphone plug into the mic input of the HV20 would i then get balance output from my DVX100 with out buying a beactech adapter ???????????
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Woah, Marty chill. ;-)
The Beacktek DXA-2s is a good solution for the HV20 but if you don't want to spend $180 try one of these first: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2062443&cp $14.99
You'll also need a 1/4" to 1/8" (mini) adapter. $5
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanx peter how good will this work for sound with a nice mic on a boom pole running into the hv20 ? will i get about the same results ??
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Your're right that your can use long mic cables to the DVX, which will be balanced. You can even use phantom powered condenser microphones. As cameras go, the DVX100 has exceptionally good audio specifications, i.e pre-amps and AD conversion.
However, it is possible that the headphone output is, in comparison, crap. Also I don't know whether it is the right level or impedence for a microphone input.

An option, would be to actually use the DVX100 to record the sound. DV audio is a higher quality specification than HDV audio, and all the audio circuits in the DVX100 are likely to be better than the ones in the HV20. So, for any microphone, the DVX100 will always sound better than the HV20.

The only disadvantage, would be that you would have to use your NLE to put the DVX recorded sound back with the HV20 picture.

Patrick
Patrick Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Newsome View Post
thanx peter how good will this work for sound with a nice mic on a boom pole running into the hv20 ? will i get about the same results ??
I tested the setup briefly with my AT897 and other than a slight loss of gain (volume) it worked pretty well. (You can just boost the audio levels in the HV20 to compensate.) Of course your mic needs to be powered (battery) as there is no phantom power with this setup (same is true of the Beachtek DXA-2s - you need powered mics).

If you really want to drag your DVX around while shooting with your HV20, you can just use the AV output on the DVX rather than headphone jack (you can get an RCA to mini plug adapter at any RadioShack.)

Of course, the Beachtek is still the way to go on this - very clean and convenient.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

wild combinations

Wow. This thread is getting pretty wild. Record audio on an old camcorder and record video on the new camcorder to avoid an adaptor like the Beachtek or the XLR Pro. Then import the audio into an editor and try and sync it with the video. Way out. Or drag along another camcorder to act as an XLR converter for a mic. Wild.

I'd also like to see where it states that DV audio is better than HDV audio. That's a new one for me. I'm collecting and researching data by the way. I'm new to HDV and I'm on a steep uphill learning trail.

BTW. I'm carrying my older two Canon camcorders along on all my shoots as a backup and possibly a second & third angle shoot if I have some friends willing to help.

One thing I caught Peter was if you used a dynamic XLR mic, you wouldn't have to worry about phantom power.

I wanna hear how Marty plays this one out.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

"I'd also like to see where it states that DV audio is better than HDV audio."

Look at this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=384

Patrick
Patrick Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Lots of info on HD audio versus SD audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bower View Post
"I'd also like to see where it states that DV audio is better than HDV audio."

Look at this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&highlight=384

Patrick
Thanks Pat. After reading through the thread, I'm relieved to know that I will never notice the difference of the audio I capture in my new HV20 when compared to the audio I captured with my older Caon SD camcorders.
John Hotze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders