My YouTube overview! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My YouTube overview!

My video overview of my new HV20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txa9J84_YKc

Was inspired to muck around doing my own vid around after viewing a HC7 YouTube review, so did my own last night, I'm hardly qualified as I only just got the cam but what the hell LOL!

Mark
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi, I loved the review and I am about 99% ready to order one this weekend. I noticed you said you played the files right onto the ps3..... Will the ps3 play m2t put onto an external drive or what did you do to view the files. I am very interested in displaying the videos on my ps3 and if I can do it without buying a blu-ray burner till they come down in price that will be great.

Thanks.
Kevin Borein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I have an HC3 HDV cam and I put the video clpis on my pc then either burn them to a regular dvd data disk or put them on a usb drive and PS3 plays them flawlessly. The PS3 is awsome if you have an HDV cam. When people come over I scroll through my clips on the PS3 and show people my HD hove videos . Awesome.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Very nice!
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Really nice review there, I specifically liked to "hear and see" someone pointing out the features. It was less generic than the video on Canon's site, and still easy to understand. Thanks Mark!

I really, really think it would be a huge benefit to the community if someone would make a video like this one, even more in depth. Cover every feature and area of this camera, showing examples of the footage and results alongside the screen display like Mark has done. It would be such a help to get this camera and its users off the ground. As an artist I always learn quicker with visuals than reading some manual.
Steve Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice work Mark! you've pretty much covered everything. I read in the other post you got a great deal too. If you're after a manual lens ring, have you considered a 35mm adapter?
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yeah Glenn, I'm v. interested in the 35mm adapters, but just playing around with one for fun I'm looking at the budget end. I have some nice Nikon glass to use, but can't justify the $1k+ adapter kits.
Just got on ebay this morning to get some access, wasn't going to worry about special HDV tapes, but found some that cost less than Sony Excellence:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=017

got the cheapest miniSD card I could find (I only want to use the exposure display trick in video mode)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&ih=001

got one this cheapo batt & charger on order,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&ih=013

I want another 2,3 batts, unsure about all the claims and counter-claims made by generic batt resellers, thought they were all the same, but this reseller is convincing in his blurb:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Battery-for-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Mark, that's not a bad deal for the tapes. I'm still using these Fuji tapes I picked up from a local Coles a while back. They're 80 minute (which probably aren't the best, but I haven't had any problems yet!), and they were selling boxes of 5 for $13.99. I bought a couple of boxes, and realised afterwards that they'd obviously priced them wrong and should have been charging $13.99 per tape. These days as soon as I shoot anything I capture it straight to the computer. Less wear and tear on the camera heads by not playing back the footage on the camera itself.

Those batteries on ebay apparently work with the HV20. I contacted that seller a couple of weeks back. He has a battery charger aswell and said two batteries and the charger would be about $70. Haven't got around to buying them yet though.

What's the exposure display trick you mentioned? Seems like a good deal for the Mini SD card. I'm yet to buy one of those either.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #9
Major Player

I think you probably just sold some HV20's. Canon ought to buy you a beer.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Borein View Post
Will the ps3 play m2t put onto an external drive or what did you do to view the files.
Thanks.
I transferred M2T files onto USB stick and played from there.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Nice job Mark. Thank for posting the video.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders