DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Does the 1.7x magnification (the TL43) work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/94171-does-1-7x-magnification-tl43-work.html)

David Rice May 15th, 2007 11:06 PM

Does the 1.7x magnification (the TL43) work?

I'm looking at buying a HV20.

If I purchase a 1.7x magnification (the TL43) teleconverter. What will I be the actualy gain in maxnification over using the standard 10x lens?

15x?

17x?

Is anyone using the 1.7x magnification (the TL43)?

What kind of quality?

I really would like a A1 and the 20x lens, but it's too heavy & far too expensive for me.

Any Sugestions?

Austin Meyers May 16th, 2007 04:44 AM

i just ordered a tl-h43, i'll post up some footage when i get it. but i would guess that it will make it a 17x zoom? i'm hoping to have the lens by the weekend...

David Rice May 16th, 2007 09:33 AM

Has anyone compared the video quality of using the 1.7 teleconverter verses using the digital zoom at the 17x range?

Francois Poitras May 16th, 2007 11:39 AM

I purchased the HV20 last week and already had the TL-43 (not the TL-H43, though).

I did try it shortly, it seemed fine on the LCD, but I did not have time to capture and compare.

Magnification: yes, adding the 1.7X will make your zoom 17X. But, it will not be usable throughout the whole 17X range. At full wide, you will see the teleconverter barrel. You will have to zoom in a bit to get rid of that, and of the pincushion distortion.

Canon lenses are of very good quality. You will not get even close with the cam’s digital zoom at the same range.

When I have some time, I will do some testing to see how sharp the image actually is with the TL-43. I’d be very curious to see how it compares with the "H" version.

HTH,

John Hotze May 16th, 2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francois Poitras (Post 680562)
I purchased the HV20 last week and already had the TL-43 (not the TL-H43, though).

I did try it shortly, it seemed fine on the LCD, but I did not have time to capture and compare.

Magnification: yes, adding the 1.7X will make your zoom 17X. But, it will not be usable throughout the whole 17X range. At full wide, you will see the teleconverter barrel. You will have to zoom in a bit to get rid of that, and of the pincushion distortion.

Canon lenses are of very good quality. You will not get even close with the cam’s digital zoom at the same range.

When I have some time, I will do some testing to see how sharp the image actually is with the TL-43. I’d be very curious to see how it compares with the "H" version.

HTH,

just curious. i assumed the 43mm was a new size with the hv20. what camcorder did you use it on before?

Francois Poitras May 16th, 2007 12:01 PM

A Panasonic PV-GS400.

Francois Poitras May 16th, 2007 12:04 PM

Oh yes, and with the GS400, the TL-43 was pretty sharp, but gave blue chromatic abberation (blue fringing), especially in bright light conditions. I’m also curious to see if that will show up with the HV20.