An automated Vegas 24p workflow.. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Anyway I think I should tell you guys that I am very new to this kind of videoprocessing. My knowledge of video processing was just regular cuts, color and gamma corrections (inherited from my still photography) and transitions.
And I learnt a lot in this few days from you guys and also through reading.
Thanks a lot!
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dulay View Post
Ajit,
When DGIndex runs it demuxes the audio track into an mpa (MPEG Audio file). The filename contains the delay value and that is what we (Steve's exe and my original PERL) read and recode into the Delayaudio() line of the avs script.
well thats precisely what I think is going on in my case too. I do have the mpa files created (when using steve's exe) and that also included one delayAudio term in the avs script files. (different values for different file).

So I thought when I open this avs scriptfile in VirtualDub/DubMod I should find the duration of video and audio are exactly the same. But that is not happening. Can you check that with one of your avs files?
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Ajit, I'm quite new to this as well. I've done some basic video modifications in the past with my old analog cam & pinnacle studio. I've only been in the "digital" world for a few months myself and boy o' boy was there a wealth of stuff to learn! Ok, I could still just stick with the basics and not worry about all of that stuff, but I'm a geek at heart and am trying to soak up as much as I can. Working on little projects like this helps because it forces me to start digging into these apps to see how they tick..

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #34
Regular Crew

same here ;-)

But my problem are more as I stopped coding about 7 years ago since my job does not require coding anymore! But I do work with scripts in linux/unix sometime.
So I find I need to read a lot more when it comes to windows!
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I haven't done any C or C++ in a while so I'm pretty rust at that. We switched over to using C# at my job about 6 or 7 years ago and I just haven't had the need to use C++ since then. I can work my way through the VDub C code fairly well, so I at least know what's going on. Translating that all back into C#, that would take me a bit longer which is why I haven't done the compressor dialog yet!

Linux & Unix, yeah I'd be totally out of my element there! No opportunity to work with those at my job, they kind of dislike the philosophy from what I can tell ; )

--Steve
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:00 AM   #36
Regular Crew

BTW, my cable modem appears to be on the fritz, so if you have a problem downloading the application, try again later. Service tech is supposed to be out on Wed. I'll put it up at an alternate site tomorrow though...

Steve
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:45 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajit Bikram View Post
well thats precisely what I think is going on in my case too. I do have the mpa files created (when using steve's exe) and that also included one delayAudio term in the avs script files. (different values for different file).

So I thought when I open this avs scriptfile in VirtualDub/DubMod I should find the duration of video and audio are exactly the same. But that is not happening. Can you check that with one of your avs files?
LOL, we're a bunch doctors trying to fix an engine. :-) My programming skills are rarely used as well.

I've checked my audio vs video and their lengths are not exactly the same. 47.23 seconds of m2t vs 46.26 seconds of demuxed mpa. Could it be a measurement error due to MPEG-Audio compression? I had clips that are several minutes long but the talkies were in synch for my ears. Somehow they've stayed in synch via audiodub(). It's probably smart enough to do the temporal adjustments when you change the framerate.

What if you try something like this:

DirectShowSource("capture01-0064.m2t", fps=29.97, convertfps=true) # or fps=23.976

There are some notes about problems with DirectShowSource and synch:
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?p=530584
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...e-t323397.html
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Hmm.. you are probably right mike. This little difference might be due to compression. And in my case also I am finding them to be completely in sync to my ear!
But I have only converted small clips. So cannot tell what would happen if you have a longer (say about 10 min) clips. I would presume if its due to compression the differences will go smaller and smaller with larger clips. If not then there is something to worry about.
I am wondering can we forcefully speed up audio a little bit to match the video. Is that possible?
I am afraid I cannot devote time in video learning before the weekend!
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Szudzik View Post

Linux & Unix, yeah I'd be totally out of my element there! No opportunity to work with those at my job, they kind of dislike the philosophy from what I can tell ; )

--Steve
I understand that! Well I personally like the GNU philosophy and most of the software tools I use in my work only run in linux/unix! So could not have helped it even if I disliked! ;-)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Ok, I've published a new version of the standalone application. Updated binary and instructions are at:

http://www.szudzik.net/vegas/scripts/HV20Pulldown.html

What changed:
Not too much. I made the compressor templates more customizable so that you can create a new one (or delete existing ones) and they will get saved to disk to be re-used later. This pretty much only affects the Script Editor window and the "compressor" drop down list on the main dialog.

--Steve
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM   #41
New Boot

Used NewTek's SpeedHQ codec with:

VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x32716873,0,10000,0);

yielded a very impressive clip. I'll need to do some more in-dept comparison in the future.
Victor Horz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM   #42
New Boot

Could you give me a AVI Synth template file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Szudzik View Post
I put together a Vegas script DLL that further automates the process so you really don't have to do a whole lot of anything to remove the pulldown. The script will ask for a working directory (should be a clean directory that you don't mind the script to delete or copy things to) and the paths to the DGIndex and VirtualDubMod applications as well as the AVI Synth template.

--Steve
I've downloaded all programs listed in "http://www.szudzik.net/vegas/scripts/HV20Pulldown.html" except the "Template.avs.". It was a bad link. So I can't start processing now without this template file.
Could you post this file in this forum so I can download it?
Victor Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Below is the template that I have been using.

v=MPEG2Source("__vid__")
a=MPASource("__aud__")
audiodub(v,a)
TFM(d2v="__vid__")
tdecimate()

--Steve
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #44
Regular Crew

I downloaded all the files needed but I getting an error when VirturalDub launches: AVisysth open failure/Script error: syntax error. I have checked all the files to make sure they are where they should be. Any idea of what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
Duane Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Are you trying to use VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubMod? That does give a syntax error.
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders