DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Compressor 3 now supports detection of broken cadence (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/94266-compressor-3-now-supports-detection-broken-cadence.html)

Ryan P. Green May 17th, 2007 09:33 AM

Compressor 3 now supports detection of broken cadence

From the manual at Apple.com:
Quote:

About the Cadence
When film is telecined to NTSC video, it has a constant cadence. This means that the 3:2 pattern is consistent and uninterrupted. It is relatively easy to remove the telecine from a constant cadence clip since you only have to determine the pattern once. If you take these telecined clips and edit them as NTSC video, the result will be a final video file that has a broken cadence with an inconsistent 3:2 pattern. It is much more difficult to remove the telecine from this clip since you have to constantly verify the cadence to make sure you don’t inadvertently choose incorrect fields when creating the 23.98 fps video.
The Reverse Telecine feature included with Compressor automatically detects broken cadences and adjusts its processing as needed.
Hooray is all I can say. Makes my workflow from HDV-> find files -> JES deinterlacer -> (long render time later) Apple Intermediate into HDV -> Send to Compressor -> (dual-core processing) ProRes422

Wes Vasher May 17th, 2007 09:37 AM

Neat, I wonder if we could take HV20 24p-in-60i .M2Ts and convert them directly to 24p ProRes422 files with Compressor.

Robert Ducon May 17th, 2007 11:59 AM

Hooray indeed!

Thanks Ryan!

Elmer Lang May 17th, 2007 04:39 PM

Must be I don't understand. Does Compressor 3 do inverse telecine? If so, why the JES and AIC, seems like you just take your HDV clip and process it in Compressor.

best,
elmer

Ryan P. Green May 17th, 2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elmer Lang (Post 681254)
Must be I don't understand. Does Compressor 3 do inverse telecine? If so, why the JES and AIC, seems like you just take your HDV clip and process it in Compressor.

best,
elmer

Compresser 2 did inverse telecine, the problem is that breaks in the cadence, or ordering of the frames, made it barf. I currently use JES to do the inverse telecine, and I transcode it to AIC as you really shouldn't be editing in native HDV.

Robert Ducon May 17th, 2007 11:52 PM

Is AIC that much better?

When you say Compresser 2 broke the cadence, do you mean exporting from a FCP timeline with various clips together in a sequence, the export would get wonky?

Does this mean anyone can import, edit and export 24P HV20 footage, and it'll export to 24P, regardless of the editing in the timeline (which is done in 60i mode)?

Ryan P. Green May 19th, 2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Ducon (Post 681429)
Is AIC that much better?

When you say Compresser 2 broke the cadence, do you mean exporting from a FCP timeline with various clips together in a sequence, the export would get wonky?

Does this mean anyone can import, edit and export 24P HV20 footage, and it'll export to 24P, regardless of the editing in the timeline (which is done in 60i mode)?

AIC is a lot better for me than going the Photo-JPEG route (I think it may actually be based upon Photo-JPEG) as real-time performance is much much better.

Also, Compressor 2 didn't break the cadence, it's the camera itself that does.