Compressor 3 now supports detection of broken cadence at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Compressor 3 now supports detection of broken cadence

From the manual at Apple.com:
Quote:
About the Cadence
When film is telecined to NTSC video, it has a constant cadence. This means that the 3:2 pattern is consistent and uninterrupted. It is relatively easy to remove the telecine from a constant cadence clip since you only have to determine the pattern once. If you take these telecined clips and edit them as NTSC video, the result will be a final video file that has a broken cadence with an inconsistent 3:2 pattern. It is much more difficult to remove the telecine from this clip since you have to constantly verify the cadence to make sure you don’t inadvertently choose incorrect fields when creating the 23.98 fps video.
The Reverse Telecine feature included with Compressor automatically detects broken cadences and adjusts its processing as needed.
Hooray is all I can say. Makes my workflow from HDV-> find files -> JES deinterlacer -> (long render time later) Apple Intermediate into HDV -> Send to Compressor -> (dual-core processing) ProRes422
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Neat, I wonder if we could take HV20 24p-in-60i .M2Ts and convert them directly to 24p ProRes422 files with Compressor.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Hooray indeed!

Thanks Ryan!
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Must be I don't understand. Does Compressor 3 do inverse telecine? If so, why the JES and AIC, seems like you just take your HDV clip and process it in Compressor.

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Lang View Post
Must be I don't understand. Does Compressor 3 do inverse telecine? If so, why the JES and AIC, seems like you just take your HDV clip and process it in Compressor.

best,
elmer
Compresser 2 did inverse telecine, the problem is that breaks in the cadence, or ordering of the frames, made it barf. I currently use JES to do the inverse telecine, and I transcode it to AIC as you really shouldn't be editing in native HDV.
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Is AIC that much better?

When you say Compresser 2 broke the cadence, do you mean exporting from a FCP timeline with various clips together in a sequence, the export would get wonky?

Does this mean anyone can import, edit and export 24P HV20 footage, and it'll export to 24P, regardless of the editing in the timeline (which is done in 60i mode)?
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
Is AIC that much better?

When you say Compresser 2 broke the cadence, do you mean exporting from a FCP timeline with various clips together in a sequence, the export would get wonky?

Does this mean anyone can import, edit and export 24P HV20 footage, and it'll export to 24P, regardless of the editing in the timeline (which is done in 60i mode)?
AIC is a lot better for me than going the Photo-JPEG route (I think it may actually be based upon Photo-JPEG) as real-time performance is much much better.

Also, Compressor 2 didn't break the cadence, it's the camera itself that does.
Ryan P. Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders