Improved method for true 24p using JES Deinterlacer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Regular Crew

okay so i was messing around with the app a little more today and just to question something, i put a full res XL2 video i did awhile back which is a 24p file i went over and low and behold the telecine option was an option!

So what the hell, it lets me choose it on 24p clips but not 29.97 clips?

Just to make sure, i am using the HDV1080i60 easy setup to capture, i go and try to convert the file in the capture scratch folder correct? do i need to do anything extra to the file before putting it into JES?

Thanks
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Anyone know what might be going on???????

Are there any other programs for us mac users that we could try out besides this because i cant seem to get that method to work with my footage
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Contributor

have you reinstalled JES, like i said earlier yours looks different than mine, i'm using 3.1.2. your input and project tabs are reversed from mine. can you take a screen shot of each tab in JES as you work through it, ie. the input tab just after you drop in the file you want to convert, then the project tab when you're changing the settings etc... also of note if you have the "progressive" box checked in the input tab it won't allow you to inverse telecine
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have the newest version of JES, i installed it on July 31st!

Here are pics off all of my tabs:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...icture1-19.png
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...Picture3-1.png
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...f/Picture4.png

Hope this helps you guys, thanks for taking time out and trying to help.

Mike
Old August 3rd, 2007, 05:17 PM   #20
Contributor

ok i think i've got a handle on this now, it appears that you're using the 2.7.4 version for os x 10.3 and under... if you're running 10.4 you need to dl the 3.2.1 version linked below:

http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ejeschot/JES_...acer_3.2.1.zip

after running though the jaguar version it appears that it has issues with removing pulldown on hd resolution files regardless of their framerates

since it sounds like you're capturing HDV in FCP i'm assuming you're running tiger, so you should be able to dl the 3.2.1 version and everything should work as advertised...

personally i no longer use JES because i've upgraded to FCS 2 which has a pulldown remover in compressor

hope that helps
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:24 PM   #21
Major Player

Humm, thank you man it was very confusing as I have been using it for quite a while and couldn't figure out why he was having issues.

It would be nice to have ProRes422 HQ Support from the DIRECT dropdown menu. I am doing it via the Export menu and it's unreal how you can abuse this format in CC (POST)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #22
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla View Post
Humm, thank you man it was very confusing as I have been using it for quite a while and couldn't figure out why he was having issues.

It would be nice to have ProRes422 HQ Support from the DIRECT dropdown menu. I am doing it via the Export menu and it's unreal how you can abuse this format in CC (POST)
interesting, i've only used it just to say i have, and i haven't done much CC work as of late, most stuff i'm just leaving in HDV with render set to prores. are you using Color or just the CC in FCP?
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM   #23
Major Player

Combination of both, I need to learn to use Color as it looks like it has potential, I was surprised about Adobe Photoshop CS3 and how you can work with video there as well.
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #24
Major Player

I've used three alternatives for 24P (from the HV20's 60i stream):

a) JES

b) After Effects

and today

c) FCS2 Compressor

Results:

A - JES is good - works well, but leaves some artifacts from the deinterlace. works well though! Great for most projects - most people won't be able to tell.

B - Cleanest result yet. Probably a slight reduction in sharpness, but, wow - the image is as smooth as butter. Took forever to render, even on a Quad Mac Pro.

C - WORST results yet! Wow.. everything went macroblocky.. what the hell's up with that? It was very fast, and the cadence is correct, but the image is worse than the other two! Hardly what I expected.. (this is exporting to Prores 422 HQ!!) Am I doing something wrong? I dragged, dropped and set the settings as high as I could.

I'd expect Compressor would 'beat' JES, but not so.
Old August 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
I've used three alternatives for 24P (from the HV20's 60i stream):

a) JES

b) After Effects

and today

c) FCS2 Compressor

Results:

A - JES is good - works well, but leaves some artifacts from the deinterlace. works well though! Great for most projects - most people won't be able to tell.

B - Cleanest result yet. Probably a slight reduction in sharpness, but, wow - the image is as smooth as butter. Took forever to render, even on a Quad Mac Pro.

C - WORST results yet! Wow.. everything went macroblocky.. what the hell's up with that? It was very fast, and the cadence is correct, but the image is worse than the other two! Hardly what I expected.. (this is exporting to Prores 422 HQ!!) Am I doing something wrong? I dragged, dropped and set the settings as high as I could.

I'd expect Compressor would 'beat' JES, but not so.

I am confused again:

A) Deinterlace? 24p? (Shouldn't you be doing Inverse telecine on 24p material?)
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

YES! It was the version of the software i got it to work, thank you so much! you all rock!

Mike :)
Old August 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #27
Regular Crew

ok i have one more question, could you capture the footage and edit it in a 60 timeline then send ur master export to jes and telecine what u edited or is it better to just telecine the captured stuff and edit like that?
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla View Post
I am confused again:

A) Deinterlace? 24p? (Shouldn't you be doing Inverse telecine on 24p material?)
I did do inverse telecine, but there are evidence of "interlace tears" still on the footage when viewed at 100%. I see it, and other have said this too.

I should note, these artifacts are there EVEN when capturing uncompressed footage and then running it through JES. But hey, it's free, beat Compressor so far, and gives me progressive. GO JES!
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #29
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Krumlauf View Post
ok i have one more question, could you capture the footage and edit it in a 60 timeline then send ur master export to jes and telecine what u edited or is it better to just telecine the captured stuff and edit like that?
you can do it this way... but you will get some weird jaggies on scene changes. you can tweak some settings is JES to improve it, but in my experience i couldn't get rid of all the instances...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders