Any HV20 latitude tests yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 19th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Any HV20 latitude tests yet?

Has anyone performed tests using both normal and cinemode gamma yet? Also, I am looking for a chart that I can use for this purpose.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Brian, there are many ways to test this, but you might want to look at the Stouffer T4110C step wedge.

I own a HV20 and a Stouffer chart and am going to do comprehensive tests when I have a free moment. Right now though, I am in the last stages of my homebuilt 10" HD LCD project and I really need to get that done first.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

but in the meantime i would like to entertain my thoughts with this chart http://dvinfo.net/conf/attachment.ph...0&d=1178608731
submitted by Noah Yuan-Vogel.

thread here..
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=93493
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Did a REALLY quick test with the Stouffer wedge - didn't even import into the computer, just viewed it with my homemade 10.6" LCD monitor & the onboard (low-res) LCD with judicious zooming...

Latitude seems to be between 6 and 8.5 stops (maybe 9 if you're pushing it) depending on:
a) what settings you use - Tv mode with Vivid is more like 6 stops, Cine mode with Contrast at -1 is more like 8+ stops.
b) your noise threshold - past 8.5 it becomes difficult to distinguish tonal differences in Cine mode although you can definitely see it becoming darker overall... Definitely the part of the wedge that is 12 stops darker is darker than the part of the wedge that is 10 stops darker but it is too indistinct to really count.

I think that this basically matches up with Noah's original tests. Anyway, when I'm less tired, I'll do everything in a more controlled way. This camera rocks.

Cheers

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders