Compression problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Compression problem

I've got Adobe Premiere Elements and whenever I watch my video in the preview window, or export my video, there are these scan lines all over the video that are not originally there when I watch it straight from the camera. When I import the movie the only way to watch the video without those lines is by using VLC player and changing the deinterlace to "blend". Is there a way to fix the video like that within Premiere? Here is an example of the effect on one of my youtube videos.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hme3mNiv388

It makes the video look out of focus too, but I'm sure thats just the compression that youtube uses. Can anyone help?
Miguel Quiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

To me they look typical of interlaced footage and should not show up when you see it in the TV. I think you should deinterlace the footage in NLE if you want to watch the end result only in computer.
However if you want to port it tape/DVD to watch in TV then you dont need to deinterlace as these artifacts wont showup in TV.
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajit Bikram View Post
To me they look typical of interlaced footage and should not show up when you see it in the TV. I think you should deinterlace the footage in NLE if you want to watch the end result only in computer.
However if you want to port it tape/DVD to watch in TV then you dont need to deinterlace as these artifacts wont showup in TV.
Any idea how to deinterlace a video in Adobe Premiere Elements? It should be the same as in Premiere Pro. If not, is there any third party software (free possibly) that I could use for that?
Miguel Quiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I never used AP so cannot tell. Hope someone who knows would chime in later.
However there are free sources! I think avisynth (a free video editor) has a smartinterlace plugin that can do it for you.
You might also try VirtualDub to deinterlace. (download the plugin from neuron2.net)
However VirtualDub cannot open the native m2t files from hv20 directly. So you have to convert them to avi first.

Edit: If you need a workflow that I am using at the moment let me know.
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders