Gonna bite the bullet... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gonna bite the bullet...

After thinking for a while I have decided to go ahead and get this camera and I am going to get it from BHPhoto. My only question is should I get the camera by itself or go for their kit that they are offering. This is what it includes and it is selling for 1700 bucks:
HV20 HDV Camcorder with DLX Starter Kit, Kit Includes: 2 Spare Batteries, 3 Mini DV Video Cassettes, Polarizing Glass Filter, Haze Glass Filter, Camera Mounted Shotgun Microphone, Camera Mountable VHF Lavalier System, Steady Stick Compact, Tripod with Head and Case, Video Editing Software, Coach Case and Extended Warranty

The only problem I have with the kit is that I already own Vegas and after talking with customer service they cannot sell me the kit minus Vegas for a little less money. (Figure I would try at least). I am not a professional more of a hobbyist with a dream of maybe have something on public access for now, besides my family of course.

Just wondering what you all thought.
Randy Boose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
New Boot

hmmm

I just looked over the bundle on their website.
BH is a good company, so I'd trust their bundles more than some, but make sure you need all that stuff.
The tripod is one that's recommended here and elsewhere (for a low-end tripod, that is), the Rode mic gets decent reviews, not sure about the lav but it's a good brand.
Price each part individually and see what it comes to. You may do better to just get the camera, tripod and the shotgun mic individually plus some tapes. Not sure, though.

Hope that helps...
Jason Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
New Boot

on second thought

Did you notice it's Vegas 6 - not 7?

I added up some of the items (both mics, tripod and vegas) and am still only at $470.
Bundle doesn't seem to save you money, so it comes down to whether you need all that stuff. And as a hobbyist, I'd say you certainly don't need 2 microphones and all those filters.

You can also get the camera cheaper elsewhere:
http://www.hv20.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Jason
Jason Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips guys. I just bought it from CIrcuit CIty, and out the door with some Sony MiniDV tapes it came to 1037. Thanks.
Randy Boose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders