External Monitor? What's Your Setup??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 10th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External Monitor? What's Your Setup???

Okay, I was curious to hear about the setup some of you are using for an external video monitor. I'm trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to do this now, since I had thought I was going to be able to playback edited video under Vegas back into the HV20 (connected via firewire), and then connect the HV20's A/V jack to my TV...but this doesn't work.

If I'm understanding the manual correctly, it appears that video coming into the camera via firewire is output to the HDMI port...and I don't have an HDMI compatible TV yet.

I know that my ASUS motherboard came with it's own digital video out (s-video and component) card that attaches by cable, and I can supposedly make use of that output with the NVIDIA display software setup under Windows, I think I may be able to do this since I have a dedicated PCIe video card I used with my LCD monitor.

Anyway, I was wanting to know the setup you guys use for an external / TV type of monitor when editing your video and be able to see it as it would be seen in the real world on TV or HDTV.

Last edited by Nathan Shane; June 10th, 2007 at 12:01 PM.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Major Player

My video card has a 2nd output. This works better than the video output on my mother board. I bought a DVI to HMDI cable and a 26" LCD Sony HDTV. It works great.

I debated between an LCD HDTV and computer monitor. Since my final output will be meant for HDTV viewing I decided against the LCD computer monitor and I have no regrets.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

On an update note: I did actually get the HV20 working for firewire video preview with Sony Vegas. Seems that you sometimes need to turn the camcorder off (then on) so that the driver loads correctly under Windows. I guess Vegas was just having a driver connection issue the first couple times I tried it, but it seems to work now.

Hey Ron, I've got a 22" widescreen LCD monitor I use for my primary display (connected to the DVI) and then have a 19" widescreen as a secondary display (connected to the VGA w/adapter). But like you, I'd really like to output to HDMI via DVI, so I would do this by using the DVI on the motherboard...or put in another graphics card on the shorter PCIe x1 slot.

But, I've got to get an HDTV and I've been looking at the 32" Phillips LCD ones, but that money I've got to save for. But I'm really getting tired of 4:3 aspect ratio TV and really welcome the world of HD widescreen...all the time.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I went with a 26" because 32" would have been a little too big for my desk.

If I was to go 32", I'd look at the Toshiba.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._LCD_HDTV.html
Ron Chau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders