HV20 lens cover problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 lens cover problem

Yesterday I noticed that, when I power-off my HV20, the bottom leaf of the automatic lens cover is not closing. It closes if I tap gently on it, or give it a gentle pull. This is annoying because having to do so prevents me from using a protective filter on the lens. My camera is less than two months old. Shall I send it back to the seller and ask for a replacement? (I hope I'm still under the return period).

Anybody else had this problem?

Last edited by Anil Dasari; June 11th, 2007 at 10:03 PM.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anil,
Even if the seller's returning period is over your cam is still under canon warranty I suppose. So you can send it to Canon also I think. Try talking to the reseller and than canon customer support.
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I noticed mine does the same thing on occasion, but not all the time. I have a UV filter on the front and just slightly tap or shake and it closes fine.
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just a thought...but perhaps using a little compressed air in a can might help to loosen up any dust or dirt that may have settled in the mechanism.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've tried the compressed-air method. I don't know if it worked; but I observed that the cover is now closing if I point the camera upwards and then power-off. Otherwise, the bottom leaf is still not closing - as if it's unable to overcome the gravity pull.

I contacted the reseller for advice and any tips. To my surprise, they gave me a replacement offer, though I crossed the return period a month ago. I'm going to try the compressed-air once again and if it doesn't work, I'll go for the replacement.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Major Player

HV20 lens cover rattle and click???

Does anyone else's HV20 lens cover rattle or make a slight clicking noise when you pitch the nose up or down? this is especially true when it is turned "off" and closed.... but still just barely there when camcorder is "on" and lens cover is open.

I guess its not a big deal but the onboard mic is sure to pic it up sometimes. I just got the HV20 and have already had to exchanged it for another that does the same thing (just not as much.)
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I WOULDNT recommend playing with compressed air near the lens system at all. Although its an apparently sealed unit the last thing you want is to force any dust or dirt back further into the camera, lens system or sensor.
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Witt View Post
Does anyone else's HV20 lens cover rattle or make a slight clicking noise when you pitch the nose up or down? this is especially true when it is turned "off" and closed.... but still just barely there when camcorder is "on" and lens cover is open.

I guess its not a big deal but the onboard mic is sure to pic it up sometimes. I just got the HV20 and have already had to exchanged it for another that does the same thing (just not as much.)
I seem to recall others asking this question previously here and that the answer was the sound you are hearing is the image-stablization hardware...or something like that.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Whatever the noise is.....It was present in 4 out of 4 HV20s that the salesman and I looked at. Although some seemed to be a little more than others. I guess it's not that big of a deal. I got an extended warranty too.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

That noise is *not* the lens cover -- it's the OIS mechanism. Every camcorder with OIS, any make, any model, has that little clicking. It's nothing to worry about (unless the clicking stops -- then you've got real trouble).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders