HV20 Setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 25th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 Setup

I was wondering if this would be a good setup from BHphoto to start off with the HV20?
Also how happy are all of you HV20 owners with the overall performance and value for the cost?

Whats included for $ 1,699.95

• HV20 2.96MP CMOS HDV Camcorder
• 2 x Impact - BP-2L14 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4v, 1500mAh)
• Tiffen - 43mm Circular Polarizing Glass Filter
• Tiffen - 43mm UV Protector Glass Filter
• Rode - VideoMic - Camera Mounted Shotgun Microphone
• Audio-Technica - Pro 88W - Camera Mountable VHF Lavalier System
• Davis & Sanford - Steady Stick Compact
• Velbon - Videomate 607 Tripod with PH-368 Head and Case
• 3 x Sony - DVM-63HD Mini DV Video Cassette
• Mack - 4-Year Extended Warranty
• Kata - CC-190 Shoulder Case
• Master-Works - DVD: The JumpStart Guide to Shooting and Producing Better Videos
Saul Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Saul:

• HV20 2.96MP CMOS HDV Camcorder

This camera is a great introduction into HDV video, and provides a tremendous image. Camera doe have capability of being controlled in a fully manual mode, though not with the traditional pro type of controls. Manual focus is doable but a drag with the wheel, as well as small LCD. Viewfinder was initially panned, but I have actually done a turn around on it, and think it is okay. Big draw of this camera, and reason I bought it, is it give 24p access. If it wasn't for that, I would likely have gotten another camera.

• 2 x Impact - BP-2L14 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4v, 1500mAh)

With the battery sold with camera, and the two you are purchasing, should have full day shooting capability, especially if you don't use LCD all the time.

• Tiffen - 43mm Circular Polarizing Glass Filter
• Tiffen - 43mm UV Protector Glass Filter

Filters are a matter of personal preference. I don't usually use a filter because of potential for degrading image. However, a polarizer is an effect type that will be good for the image on this camera.

• Rode - VideoMic - Camera Mounted Shotgun Microphone

In camera mic stinks. You need a good mic, and I have heard good things about the Rode, but plan to get it away from the camera, as the motor noise is an issue. This film was shot with a Sennheiser ME66 off camera held on boom, with a field mixer feeding the camera. Worked great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s3hDShqe18

• Audio-Technica - Pro 88W - Camera Mountable VHF Lavalier System

Don't know

• Davis & Sanford - Steady Stick Compact

I have this unit, and actually shots parts of the movie above with the steady stick. Do not plan to use it as a steady cam. It works great for stationary hand held, but it will take a lot of practice to be able to move extensivley with it.

• Velbon - Videomate 607 Tripod with PH-368 Head and Case

My first tripods. They were inexpensive, and provided "fluid" movment, to some degard. I now have a better tripod, but with care, you can get a decent tripod experience out of them. Just don't use a better one owned by someone else, because you will be disatisfied.

• 3 x Sony - DVM-63HD Mini DV Video Cassette

If used mainly TDK Mini DV tapes in mine. Same type of tape, but they seem to charge more when they mark it with HDV. Pick a readily available brand and stick with it to avoid potential of mixing incompatible lubricants.

• Mack - 4-Year Extended Warranty

Didn't get. Canon gives a year, as I understand it.

• Kata - CC-190 Shoulder Case

Every one likes to buy a nice camera bag. I understand that. I'm cheap, and have found that the various canvus covered ice and/or lunch boxes in the camping area in Walmart work great, and are non-descript, camoflauging my gear

• Master-Works - DVD: The JumpStart Guide to Shooting and Producing Better Videos

Don't know it.
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Chris Barcellos;702257]

Big draw of this camera, and reason I bought it, is it give 24p access. If it wasn't for that, I would likely have gotten another camera.

QUOTE]

So you said that if it wastn for the 24p you wouldnt have bought the HV20, what would you have bought if this didnt have the 24p? Just curios.
My brother in law lives so close to you, up a few miles off the 5 and florin.
Saul Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well I already have the FX1, but I wanted to learn a bit about 24p, so it I figured this was the cost of tuition. I am glad I did. It has been an interesting experience, and the camera has been great in many respects. Again it is a very small camera, but you can use it as a platform to create an inexpensive indie film rig, and that is what I like about it.....

Your brother is about 10 miles off from here....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders