NeoHDV & Vista Premium (issues) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Woo View Post
If you succeded in capturing intermediate file using Neo, let me know the file size please.
I've been very successful capturing with NeoHDV under Vista, it's just that the program stops working on occassion. You asked about files sizes, so here you go since NeoHDV has one option for capturing both an M2T and CineForm Intermediate file at the exact same time, it's real easy to see how much larger the CineForm files actually are:

M2T = 14,288 KB
NEO = 55,528 KB

M2T = 135,877 KB
NEO = 824,625 KB

M2T = 74,260 KB
NEO = 290,711 KB

That should give you a good idea of the file size difference. Even though the CineForm files are much more larger, the advantage is seen in Vegas working with the intermediate files because playback can be smooth and without any difficulty for the cpu/graphics card to handle, whereas with the M2T files the file format seems to put more of a strain on the cpu/graphics.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #17
New Boot

Thanks for your data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shane View Post
I've been very successful capturing with NeoHDV under Vista, it's just that the program stops working on occassion. You asked about files sizes, so here you go since NeoHDV has one option for capturing both an M2T and CineForm Intermediate file at the exact same time, it's real easy to see how much larger the CineForm files actually are:

M2T = 14,288 KB
NEO = 55,528 KB

M2T = 135,877 KB
NEO = 824,625 KB

M2T = 74,260 KB
NEO = 290,711 KB

That should give you a good idea of the file size difference. Even though the CineForm files are much more larger, the advantage is seen in Vegas working with the intermediate files because playback can be smooth and without any difficulty for the cpu/graphics card to handle, whereas with the M2T files the file format seems to put more of a strain on the cpu/graphics.
Thanks for your data, I'll try it later.
Victor Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I couldn't get it to work successfully either, Neo HDV kept crashing "stopped working" error under both my PC's with vista - oh well it was a good codec if I could use it.

Hope they fix it, for $250 I expect it to work when I purchase it. Right now it's not worth more than $50.
Ario Damghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #19
New Boot

Same problem to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario Damghani View Post
I couldn't get it to work successfully either, Neo HDV kept crashing "stopped working" error under both my PC's with vista - oh well it was a good codec if I could use it.

Hope they fix it, for $250 I expect it to work when I purchase it. Right now it's not worth more than $50.
I've the same problemn with you. I've downloaded the latest trial version from the officail site and installed on my Vista Ultimate. I opened HDLink program and converted the exsist video, it's OK. But when I connected my HV20 to the firewire port, the program crashed and then must be closed. I still don't know how to work it out.
Victor Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I wonder what the issue is, because as I said, I can get it to work many times under Vista without any problems but then sometimes it stops working as soon as I start it, or stops in the middle of a capture. I'm kinda thinking like both of you, I'd love to continue using it, but I'm not willing to spend $250.00 on software that works intermittently and can crash often enough under Vista...which is my editing system.

Once the 15-day trial is over, that's it. There will be no way for us to check out the program if they release an update for it for Vista, unless any updates allow for another 15-day trial to make absolutely certain it will run on a given Vista system.
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

When I ask support if there are Vista issue occurring, I was told no one has filed any reports like this. Now it does seem that there are a few of you with Vista issues, do yourself a favor and file a trouble ticket with www.cineform.com/support, we might find there is something similar between your PC, as this fault is not widespread. Please make you reports as detailed as possible about your camera, setup and how to reproduce the fault. If we find a fix, we can extend your trail, but if we don't know who you are we can't, working with support helps both of us.
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Well I fixed my problem. Try going into Neo HDV with your HV20 powered off.

Then once you're in, turn it on. Solved my issue. If I have the Hv20 on when I start Neo HDV it crashes (HVLink.exe stop error in Vista)
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #23
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Interesting, can others confirm?
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM   #24
Regular Crew

didn't work for me - still crashes...
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario Damghani View Post
didn't work for me - still crashes...
Try going a fresh restart and doing it right-away. Do not go into any other software that could control the HV20.
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Still craps out...
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Well, I went ahead and did as David suggested and went to the CineForm website and filed a trouble ticket. Obviously there are Vista issues taking place and hopefully CineForm can get to the bottom of them soon enough. I'm still convinced that there is something intermittent occurring within Vista that is causing a communication disruption with the camera driver, but what this is specifically who knows...Vista is still so new, so there's bound to be issues like this that come to the surface.
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #28
Tourist

NEO HDV Crashes with Vista

I have the same issue. I created a ticket 611-4875795 with Cineform. Unlike David, I don't think it is a Firewire issue, because I did not have this problem before I installed NEO on my machine - Premiere Capture worked just fine. And I'm getting these crashes either when the camera gets connected or after several clips get captured.

My Encore and Premiere started crashing too. It may or may not be related, but I suspect the problem is in one of shared components that NEO installs. I provided Cineform with some additional data that could help narrow the problem down to a specific module and code.
Mirek Elsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #29
Tourist

"Well I fixed my problem. Try going into Neo HDV with your HV20 powered off."

I can't confirm this. If I do this, it crashes when I turn the camera on. It is intermittent, but it still happens. I tried to run the program in XP SP2 compatibility mode, I tried to run it in elevation, nothing really helps.
Mirek Elsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Have you downloaded the newest version of NeoHDV? I believe they posted a new version in the past couple days, try that version and see if it helps.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders