Just Got mine!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 30th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just Got mine!!

I just went down and picked up my HV20 yesterday, I only had time to plug it in and charge it. I am so anxious to play with it. Can you guys recommend any start up settings to start playing with? I thought I saw a thread that showed all secrets of this camera, but I cant remember.
I am going to order the WD-H43 as soon as I can find a place that has it in stock, BH is out. I am also going to be ordering a Screen hoodie 30 from Cinetactics. I have a B+W Polarizing filter for my D70 and I love it, would you guys recommend one for the HV20? as well as a UV?
Thanks again, Saul
Saul Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Slide the upper switch on the right side of the camera to P.

Put a photo chip in your camera.

Turn on camera.

Select menu button on back of camera. In the first menu, select TV. Exit menu. With the toggle, you can now set shutter speed by pushing toggle up or down. Camera will adapt the exposure of other variable as you select the shutter speed.

Once you have the shutter speed you want, to lock the other variables, press toggle button, toggle up or down to Exposure. Select it.

By right or left toggling, you are now adjusting the other exposure variablles. To determine what setting are, you can pust the photo button part way down, and see what settings are. This only works if a chip is in camera..... Once you have the exposure you want, you can get out of exposure adjustment mode and it will stay locked, until you reenter exposure adjustment again...

Instead of TV, you can select AV, which makes the F Stop priority. If you select Cine mode, then there is no initial adjustment, as the camera selects "best exposure" You can adjust exposure up or down, or lock as discussed above, though.
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
That is, a Mini SD flash memory card. Just so there's no confusion.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
To determine what setting are, you can pust the photo button part way down, and see what settings are. This only works if a chip is in camera.....
Chris, does this work in video mode or only photo mode? When ever I try this in photo mode it works, but when ever I try it in video mode I get the flashing red photo only symbol on the lcd.
Derek Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Derek, it will work in video mode if you go into the Function menu and enable Still Image Simultaneous Recording -- see page 53 of the operator's manual. Move the menu selection from Still I.Rec Off to LW 1920x1080. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle

and you have to have a MiniSD card in the cam...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Saul,
I'm selling the HV20 Wide angle plus two extra batteries, anyone interested jump to the classified section.

Batteries purchased at BH on MAY 10 for $59.95 each
Wide Angle purchased at (another non sponsor video store) on MAY 15 for 179.99
These are prices without shipping charges, total was $299.00 (shipping for WA only was + $32.95)

offers accepted.

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

why you selling them alexis
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Newsome View Post
why you selling them alexis
I couldn't returned them for full refund cause they are in perfect conditions, I bought the batteries with the cam but I threw away the battery original packages so couldn't send them with the camera.

The Wide Angle was purchase alone at another store and with no reason to return other than I don't have the camera any longer is not an acceptable reason for refund, or should be? Any ways I have original invoice if interested.
Hope this answer your question, if need any other info needed please contact me.
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
I just got my HV20 as well. One of the first things I did was disable still image recording because I already have a photo camera.

Quote:
To determine what setting are, you can pust the photo button part way down, and see what settings are. This only works if a chip is in camera..... Once you have the exposure you want, you can get out of exposure adjustment mode and it will stay locked, until you reenter exposure adjustment again...
Now this is a sweet trick... thanks! Looks like I'll be grabbing a miniSD card today...

peace|dewde
Chris Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Derek, it will work in video mode if you go into the Function menu and enable Still Image Simultaneous Recording -- see page 53 of the operator's manual. Move the menu selection from Still I.Rec Off to LW 1920x1080. Hope this helps,
Chris, I take it you have one of those little things? You seem to know a lot about them. They seem to be spreading. The images look so nice, I will have to get me one of those.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders