Capture to PC from HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture to PC from HV20

Ok, so I am just being such a noob right now. What methods would you all recommend using in getting the video from the HV20 to my PC. The current programs that I have in PC right now are PP2.0 and Sony Vegas 7 Trial, I am just all confused with Vegas 7. It looks simple but I am so used to using PP2.0 that its making really hard for me to understand Vegas. Is there a way to import the video that capture using Vegas into PP2.0?
Keep in mind that I just got my first HD camera friday.
Any help would be apprecaited, thanks again.
Saul Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Sony Vegas (Movie Studio at least) captures HDV as .m2t, but it won't detect HDV scenes. You can download for free and use HDVSplit to capture the tape and then use any editor you want (although you will have to edit out some black frames out of each clip that HDVSplit stupidly adds).
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use Premiere Pro 2.0 since I've got my HV20 and I have no problems editing HDV footage (I have a AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core, by the way, and I didn't even notice a significant performance gain after recently upgrading my computer from 1 to 2 GB RAM). The only 'glitch' I noticed (might still be my system) is that if I capture long clips directly in Premiere, the audio runs terribly out of sync. So I'd recommend, as Eugenia, using HDVSplit to capture your videos. Strange though, I didn't even notice the black frames added by HDVSplit - maybe because I always shoot a few seconds for 'safety' at the end of a scene.
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, if you always trim clips you won't notice it...
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So i capture with HdSplit straight from the camera? That seems all too easy, off i go to try it.
Saul Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Major Player

BTW, Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum was released *yesterday* (I just found out). If you buy that instead of version 7, you will get better support for capturing and scene detection. I only find its preview playback very slow, other than that it's very capable. So, if HDVSplit doesn't do it for you, buy the new version of VMS, it sells for $130.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia Loli-Queru View Post
BTW, Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum was released *yesterday* (I just found out). If you buy that instead of version 7, you will get better support for capturing and scene detection. I only find its preview playback very slow, other than that it's very capable. So, if HDVSplit doesn't do it for you, buy the new version of VMS, it sells for $130.
Cool, thanks for update Eugenia...
does VMS8 platinum now support scene detection on HDV, or not? It doesn't seem to say so yet in the features or release notes:
http://sony-169.vo.llnwd.net/dspcdn/...80a_readme.htm
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...=447&PageID=86

It mentions better support for HDV / M2T and AVCHD, esp longer projects, but not much else...

is VMS also still limited to fixed MPG bitrate for DVD MPEG rendering?
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #8
Major Player

I have 7.0e and it supported scene detection on my FX7 but not my HV10...

Just to let you guys know :)
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes, the VMS8-Platinum supports HDV scene detection now.
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
I have 7.0e and it supported scene detection on my FX7 but not my HV10...

Just to let you guys know :)
Hmm, I seemed to recall the trial 7.0e did scene-detection-split/capture OK from my HV10... but it was a while ago.. or were you talking Studio? I only downloaded the trial for full Vegas.
Colin Gould is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders