HV20 questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
You lost resolution? Because of the 1/24 shutter?
I saw some clips from Tokyo and Sydney at night and they looked very, very sharp. I would say they were full 1920x1080 to look that sharp. As it was all available light I'm thinking low light. Does this happens just in cine mode, this loss of resolution?
Okay, maybe loss of resolution isn't the right techinical term... so this is something for the tech guys to comment on. I just noticed that image was a little less sharp and seemed to not to be "full" as at 1/48. Certainly, that could be just the result of camera movement or plain effects of gain from lack of light, but I think one of the recommendation for anyone shooting 24p in any camera is to shoot at 1/48 to preserve maximum resolution. Someone else will have to give the tech expertise, this is just my feeling after looking a footage.
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Re. pulling focus in manual mode, be sure to get familiar with how the "Focus Assist" button on the LCD (the right-most "stop" square) behaves. That's the "manual assist", for lack of a better term, Canon built into the camera to help people out.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Plumb View Post
Re. pulling focus in manual mode, be sure to get familiar with how the "Focus Assist" button on the LCD (the right-most "stop" square) behaves. That's the "manual assist", for lack of a better term, Canon built into the camera to help people out.
Understand that feature, but it doesn't work as you are handholding with a 35 mm adapter and having to pull focus as the subject changes relative position.
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Understand that feature, but it doesn't work as you are handholding with a 35 mm adapter and having to pull focus as the subject changes relative position.
When you are using a 35mm adapter you would use the 35mm lens to focus while keeping the hv20 focus locked. under that circumstances does the focus assist be of any use??
Or am I missing something?
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Focus assist enlarges a portion of the LCD viewfinder to aid in focusing. This will help, even in focusing with the 35mm adapter. Focus assist should not be confused with the autofocus feature.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
I think Quyen has plans for a Letus specifically for this camera that will be released soon.
Oh? May I ask if that's something you heard from Quyen directly or is it just "rumors"? I'll certainly ask him myself, but from what I've heard, he's a very busy man (not saying you're not, Chris! ;)).
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Michael:

What shooters are doing to lock out gain, and hopefully lock in 1/48 is point camera at a bright object like a white blank cell phone screen, or PSP2 screen, and press the Exposure button at the same time to activate the exposure adjustment feature. This gives a wide range of adjustments plus or minus in the exposure adjustment slide. Then they half way depress the photo button to assure they haven't gone outside the parameters they were trying to stay in. When I shot the film I did, I had a difficult time staying in 1/48. The darker scenes were in 1/24, and I consequently lost resolution.... Time permitting, I should have added more light, but the schedule was tight...
I have been reading about the cell phone trick etc. Do you have to repeat it every time you turn the camera off or can you store it like in the SD card or something?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
I have been reading about the cell phone trick etc. Do you have to repeat it every time you turn the camera off or can you store it like in the SD card or something?
Not that I am aware of....
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Did a quick test and no, the exposure lock is not preserved/remembered between power cyclings. You have to repeat the trick every time to re-lock/set the exposure.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders