HV20 and PE3 preview in capture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #1
Tourist

HV20 and PE3 preview in capture?

This is my first HDV cam. I am coming from Canon SLR and many "L" lens. I just bought this little HV20 a week ago. I was first considered A1, but for the time being I decided to get HV20 first. But, if I really like the format. I might pull the trigger on A1.

Anyway, I downloaded PE3 and I am trying to capture the HDV using firewire port. I couldn't get the preview to work while capturing HDV data. It just said "Capturing...". Since this is trial version, I am not sure if this is a limitation of trial version. I also downloaded Vegas 7 and 8. Vegas has preview while capturing. I appreciated if any PE3 owner can provide any help or advice.

Thanks,
Nantha
Nantha Kophengnavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Premiere Pro does not show a preview either, so I would assume that this is the way Elements is supposed to work. You have to use the camera to monitor what you are capturing.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantha Kophengnavong View Post
This is my first HDV cam. I am coming from Canon SLR and many "L" lens. I just bought this little HV20 a week ago. I was first considered A1, but for the time being I decided to get HV20 first. But, if I really like the format. I might pull the trigger on A1.

Anyway, I downloaded PE3 and I am trying to capture the HDV using firewire port. I couldn't get the preview to work while capturing HDV data. It just said "Capturing...". Since this is trial version, I am not sure if this is a limitation of trial version. I also downloaded Vegas 7 and 8. Vegas has preview while capturing. I appreciated if any PE3 owner can provide any help or advice.

Thanks,
Nantha

Dont think premiere have this function, why not?.. Well, I use HDVsplit now workd just fine and have scene split.. try it, can run i background of premiere and no crash etc..
Johan Bunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #4
Tourist

Lloyd, Johan,

Thanks for the info. I am surprised that Adobe Premiere didn't have this simple functionality. This is a well respected SW in NLE industry. I guess, I will give HDVSplit a try or even other third party tool. So, how do like Premier compare to other SW? I am still in decision making process. I noticed neither Vegas or Premiere produced identical image as the source. It's slightly darker. Perhaps, I need to do some adjustment in SW. Although, Vegas image is to my eyes a little sharper. I am just looking for the best affordable SW for the money.

Nantha,
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Premiere cs3 is supposed to show the hdv-image when capturing. What is this talk about sharpness etc? The stream is the same.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #6
Tourist

Premier CS3 may have preview while capturing. I guess the older version does not, and I am referring to Premier Element 3. As far as data stream is concerned, Yes, digital data are the same for all NLE sw. I am talking about post processing process. It looks like PE3 has some level of digital NR going on, therefore video looks/feels softer. where I didn't see that with Vegas. Hey, that's just me..
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just for the record... Premiere Pro CS3 does not have preview during capture... it has preview for setting the in and out points for capturing and
on screen preview allowing you to see the footage on the computer prior to
hitting the capture button........

having said that, during the actual capture routine there is no preview available on the computer... but there realy isn't any reason to see the footage if you set the in and out points....

The capture routine is one or the other, in/out points or full tape......
with computer preview prior to the actual capture
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders