Anyone else noticed that some red's come out orange-ish?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone else noticed that some red's come out orange-ish??

So I recorded my niece's birthday party yesterday in 24p cinemode. Came home and played it back and noticed that several red objects looked more like burnt orange. Has anyone else noticed this and is there a way to correct it??
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think I remember reading that is an HDV codec problem, not the HV20. But don't quote me on that.

Thomas
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have not explored a work around yet, but I did recently experienced the same thing. I was filming a very Red shirt and in reviewing it - it looks orange. I am currently editing in Vegas 7e.

Chad
Chad Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's not a Vegas issue as I can see it viewing directly from the camcorder to my HDTV.
Tony Parenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have also read that purple is a problem for the HDV codec. Comes out more as a blue. But unfortunately, I have no solution.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'll just say it's not the codec - different cameras have different processing of colors. I like the purples (and the rest of the colors..) from my HC7 over any other cam I've used.

I noticed some overly hot reds and greens with the HV20, and every cam needs to be white balanced to get close to right - that's half the battle. That said, I noticed in some posted videos that colors I think ought to be red are definitely orange-y. Experiment with white balance a bit and you'll probably find a preset that looks more natural - the rane of presets on the HV20 is pretty good.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #7
Tourist

I had an opposite experience with my Canon Mini-DV camera, i.e. yellow came out orange and orange came out red. Tuning the white balance didn't help.

Canon said they could adjust the color processor. I sent them the camera but after 6 weeks they sent me a new one. It apparently wasn't as easy as they thought...

Lou
Lou van Wijhe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders