HV20: need handle on top... ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20: need handle on top... ideas?

I will be capturing toddlers on my HV20 for a few more years and the best footage seems to be down on their level. Does anyone know of a mounting / adapter / bracket of some sort to get me a handle that runs the length of the top of the unit? I purchased a few flash brackets to try and put it together myself, but then it occurred to me today that maybe something like this already exists?

Chris
Chris Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Chris...you could do what I have done with great success - and that's to use a monopod attached to the HV20, then you just turn the whole unit upside-down and use the monopod as a handle and the camera is completely at floor level. Seriously, you can capture some of the most coolest footage - then you simply rotate the video 180 in your video editing software (since it will be captured upside-down).

One of my more interesting video experiments was when I did a walk-about across the lawn/sidewalks holding the camera down at foot level and capturing my shoes as I walked...I would even stand in place and move the camera 360 around my feet/body by switching hands to create that whole Matrix effect. Some of that footage really grabbed your attention because of the viewpoint that was being captured. In addition, I also would navigate the camera in, around, up, over, and through plants/cactus/trees/bushes/etc...with some really great results. Another interesting experiment I tried was holding the camera directly over a stream of water as I walked alongside and also holding it in front of a small waterfall to capture the water as it flowed across the rocks. You'd be very suprised at the whole new visual perspective that you can capture trying this. Just be mindful of not dragging the camera into the ground or dropping it in the water and you're good to go. Of course, you could also get a waterproof case or make some other protective cover for the camera as well.

I'm uploading an .mp4 video of this and will post a link in just a little bit.
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shane View Post
Chris...you could do what I have done with great success - and that's to use a monopod attached to the HV20, then you just turn the whole unit upside-down and use the monopod as a handle and the camera is completely at floor level. Seriously, you can capture some of the most coolest footage - then you simply rotate the video in your video editing software (since it will be captured upside-down).

One of my more interesting video experiments was when I did a walk-about across the lawn/sidewalks holding the camera down at foot level and capturing my shoes as I walked...I would even stand in place and move the camera 360 around my feet/body by switching hands to create that whole Matrix effect. Some of that footage really grabbed your attention because of the viewpoint that was being captured.
Awesome idea! Thanks Nathan!
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Cool tips! Thanks Nathan
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Okay...here's my experimental walk-about video using the monopod. I reduced the image size and made it an .mp4 file - so hopefully you'll be able to play it...it's about 14MB

http://vettaville.com/videos/hv20_walkabout.mp4
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Shane View Post
Okay...here's my experimental walk-about video using the monopod. I reduced the image size and made it an .mp4 file - so hopefully you'll be able to play it...it's about 14MB

http://vettaville.com/videos/hv20_walkabout.mp4
That looks terrific!

Expect this perspective in my next video :-).

Chris
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Nathon, Thanks for showing the idea of using the mono pod for that type of perspective.... when I got home tonight I pulled out the mono pod that I normally use for my still cam's... and shot a liitle around the house....

The mono pod I'm using is the manfrotto 3245 , its a very cool monopod as it colapses by you squeezing a hand trigger... so you can extend it or shorten it... what I noticed is that when its not extended it gives the camera much more balance and the footage is less shaky do to the HV20 light weight... and when you extend the mono pod you get to reach into some cool spots for footage and like you have seen, when you turn the whole package upside down it works its magic perspective too....

I can't wait to shoot some footage in this fashion soon....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

what I noticed is that when its not extended it gives the camera much more balance and the footage is less shaky do to the HV20 light weight...

This guy recommends holding your monopod/tripod at a certain place in order to simulate the effect of a Merlin Steadicam. Kind of a neat trick, but I have not tried it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aPbwcqquk

Chris
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #9
New Boot

I read an article on the web ages ago about making your own steadymount and this method was given as the simplest. I tried it at the time and it works very well. The hardest part is getting the camera to point in the right elevation i.e. straight ahead and not up or down.
Also, in the Youtube vid he seems to be clutching the tripod but it works best if you support it with two fingers just beneath a convenient joint, so that it can swing freely (I'll stop now before any more double entendres pop up)
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Another idea for low level shots is one of those small table tripods with bendable legs. You can quicky set it up on any uneven surface and even use it as a holder for the cam.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I also wonder if there is any type of handle for the HV20. I did try Nathan's tip http://www.everythinginhd.com/videos/path.wmv (right click-save as). Great idea and I will be using it more.
Duane Steiner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders