XLR Handle issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 1st, 2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Inner Circle

XLR Handle issues

At the introduction of the bridal party this evening, the audio stopped on my camera, and I determined the issue to be the connection between the handle and the camera. I cannot use the camera at this point with the handle on the camera, as it seems to be causing a malfunction with the audio. It ruined an otherwise perfect day, and was doubly disappointing as the images from the camera were far better than my old FX1000. The camera destroys the FX1 especially.

Anyone else had this issue?
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: XLR Handle issues

Got the camera out a few minute ago, turned off the INT/EXT mic switch to INT, then turned it back to EXT, and everything is working again. I don't know, maybe the switch had been nudged. So all is well.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jeff, I'm the sorta guy who has to know what happened, old habits mate, it's early broadcast training so I can fill out a report for the techs. Maybe those switch contacts have oxidised through outdoor use, work it back and forwards a few times.

Also I'm a frustrated airplane pilot, so I have checklists in all the cases starting with the list of gear in each case.

In both the XHA1 and XHA1s camera cases, there's pre-start check lists to be run before leaving the house, these cover everything including setting all switches in their operating positions .. check the internal ND filters are set to off etc.

All batteries fully charged, the heads are cleaned and a tape loaded and cued up. Spare tapes ready to load and all mics with pads and filters preset to anticipated conditions. All the tripod legs are marked so they can be extended to a pre-set comfortable working height. Energy bars and water included, don't rely on any shops.

All this is so at airshows we can unload the cars, take out the cams and get going.

Doing any of this on location not only wastes valuable time it invites disaster, same at weddings. Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Allen thanks for the suggestion of going over cameras the night before. In this case, however, note that I said "stopped working", not that the audio had not worked at all during the day. Checked camera the night before with a test, and it worked perfectly for the ceremony yesterday. Fired it u[ prior to the wedding party intros a couple of hours later, everything looked great then turned it off to wait for the intros to begin, and put a Comer 1800 on it, and when the time came for the intros, no audio.

I think possibly the light's weight caused the contacts in the rear of the handle to lose contact with the electronic connectors, which are located in the rear. An effect caused by leverage of too much weight on the front of the handle. At any rate, I'll play with it later with a light on it and see what happens.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders