Pixela vs. XA10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 21st, 2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Wrangler

Pixela vs. XA10

Any thought or tips on the Pixela Transfer software?
Is it really necessary for direct camcorder to PC transfer file transfer?
Is it really as lame as it initially appears to be?
Are there meaningful configuration/set-up/file selection/destuination options?
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Pixela vs. XA10

I hadn't heard of it, then found it is Canon software. Not sure what it is for.

I treat my SD card as a hard drive in windows, navigate to the folder where the photo/video is located, then I rename the clips while they are on the card, then drag the raw footage directly into a folder on a storage drive, then back it up.

How can Pixela help with that process? Does it offer conversion tools?
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Wrangler

Pixela is the provider of third party software bundled with the XA10 (and other Canon and other brands of camcorders). It facilitates the direct transfer of video (and still images) between the camcorder and a PC via USB connection. It also appears to support upload to video sharing services (e.g., uTube).

It is not an NLE, and documentation is a bit sparce, but it is discussed in the User Manual, with a strong hint that it is the "only approved" way to transfer video between the XA10 and a PC. The nominal interface does not include any obvious comprehensive help, and unless I ma missing something, it not does it provide any clear choices as to what file are transferred to the PC, or the destination directory.

Then again, it just may mean I have not yet looked in enough places.
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think dragging directly from the folder is fine, at least it has been for me. Discs that come with cameras usually stay in the box, I don't think I've ever looked at one, maybe I should.
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Trustee

I do use the Pixela transfer software for the XA 10, and the Sony PMB software for my Sony AVCHD cams.
True, it is a no-brainer to just drag or copy the files from the card/cam, but I like the supplied software because:
1) They both are very quick and simple to use + you can specify not to transfer any files that have previously been transferred.
2) They will preserve the original camera file naming, which I like because it includes the date
3) They will flawlessly restitch clips that are divided because of length.
I actually find it faster to use Pixela for import (rather than drag/copy)- just click the program open, it will find the card or cam instantly, specify the import destination, click go & you are done...
Old October 21st, 2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I like the stitching part, saves some work in PP. The S/W industry has lost some of my trust with all the bloat they include. Less is more. Cheers.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The stitching thing does sound good. I can't find my disc, if one came with the camera. I will see if I can download the software for stitching my clips together.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Trustee

Hmmm...
My bad- the Sony software will stitch divided Sony clips, but apparently the Pixela software will not do it :(
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Wrangler

Pixela stitching did not work for me. The four (4) M2T file on the XA10 became four files on my POC. If I just take the files as is and stick them side-by -side on a timeline about one frame of video and two frames of audio are missing.

However, if I use the nominal DOS/Command Line command:
COPY /B sourcefile1 + sourcefile2+ etc. destination-file
it works like a charm, nothing missing. Easy for those who grew up on DOS and not windows.

Also, I do not like the fact that Pixela does NOT let me select which files I wish to transfer to the PC. All in all a no-brain software for Joe and Jane Six-pack users.
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Yeah Don, pretty much a waste of time. I used MTS merger and it merged the files together in no time. One advantage of using Pixela, it does tell us which files are pieces, as opposed to just viewing them on the card, you know how it numbers them xxxxxx_1 xxxxxx_2, etc. that's good to know. When I have 150 clips in a folder, to go through them individually and sorting out to find which ones need merged is near impossible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders