Things I hope Canon improves on the next revision: - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old November 1st, 2011, 07:02 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: Things I hope Canon improves on the next revision:

720 60p recording mode is critical. And I could do without the touch screen or I'll wait a few generations until canon makes it as slick as an iphone. I sent my g10 back and bought and Xf100, very happy with it.
rick
Rick Pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I know I should be directing this to Canon and I will. I recently recorded my nieces wedding and I'm doing test shots for a short my wife and I are working on and found a couple tedious processes. I get that it's not a fully manual camera but this is internals. Could be H/W design or firmware limitations or just the way they're doing it.

1. When I'm in the manual focus screen I can't adjust the manual exposure settings using the back of camera controls (button and dial). The focus screen is a great place to fine-tune focus and do rack focus transitions. Problem is sometimes I want to change the DOF by adjusting my position and adjusting the aperture. To do that I have to exit focus screen, make my changes then click the focus button on the bottom right (and that's if I don't want to use the exposure tools, in that case there's much more clicking). It's just two, or more, clicks I wish I didn't have to make.

2. When I'm in the manual exposure program screen monitoring the WFM and using the touch controls and I hit record, it exits to the main display and won't let me back in. It's probably that the processor can't handle all that's going on. It would be really convenient to have the exposure WFM on-screen and have access to the touch controls at live events where I don't control the lighting. During those times I'm probably holding the screen anyway to keep it steady so pressing the back controls to change exposure is a little tough. Plus I don't have the WFM. Not a big deal but it would be nice to have.

3. And if I get #2 I'll take the mile and ask if I can jump between manual exposure and focus screens. I guess that's the toolbar so I'll defer to my previous dream.

4. Menu pages as options to set to assignable buttons. I don't always need power IS so I'd like to set that button to a menu I jump to often.

5. Disable the camera/play button while recording. Or better yet, make it a 3rd assignable button in record mode. I can't think of a single situation where I'm recording and suddenly get the urge to jump to the playback screen.

6. Make the assignable buttons dual purpose. Click and release for one function and click and hold for another function. That wouldn't work very well with powered IS since it can work in both modes but the other button would add one more thing to jump to or turn on/off quickly.

7. I could swear there's a mark for a 3rd assignable button above the other two. I say add it. :)

8. Getting a little crazy now but why not make the handle zoom rocker two assignable buttons? Since the camera relies so much on its firmware to make adjustments anyway, what's it going to hurt to make use of the few buttons it does have?

9. A remote jack for the back controls (button and dial) and a little cheap doohickey to make the adjustments with a tripod arm mount. In the heat of filming events my hands barely find the controls (I'm thinking about putting a small rubber pad on the button to elevate it slightly and prevent my fingers rubbing against the button/case inducing noise) and when I do I'm now focused on the clicking to find the right adjustment then turning the dial that I take my eyes off what I'm recording.

Just some thoughts. Cheers
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
7. I could swear there's a mark for a 3rd assignable button above the other two. I say add it. :)
That is likely the IR sensor. See item 11 on page 18 (or19 depending on language) of the manual.

What everyone wants make it sound more and more like the XF series.
Old November 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Yes Don, pretty much that's it. We all want a XF100 for the cost of the XA10.
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
What everyone wants make it sound more and more like the XF series.
Well not really. It's a little larger and the handle is permenantly mounted. I really like the fact of being able to remove the handle to look more like a consumer cam (when needed).

I think people really appreciate how great the cam is, but also that there is room to tweak the software.
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Yes Don, pretty much that's it. We all want a XF100 for the cost of the XA10.
You're probably right. I haven't looked at the XF100 in-depth, maybe I should go rent one to see what I'm missing. Cheers.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #22
Trustee

I went into B&H to buy the G10 and heard it has a touch-screen just like the M400/40/41 and passed on it as I dislike the sensitivity Canon has implemented on it. I have a M41 and know just how stellar the video it captures is and felt the manual focus ring on the G10 as well as other small improvements would have been worth it- but I just hate Canon's touch screen interface and menu structure!
I consider myself a Canon fan but my Sony cameras are really much better with regards to touch-screen implementation- I couldn't see spending $1300 to deal with that on a upper-end camcorder.
It's really too bad the G10 has this flawed feature.....my next camera will be a Sony NEX7 as i've read nothing but positives about it's video capabilities.....
....I'll keep monitoring this forum in case Canon updates it's firmware and changes the G10's setup- I know it's unlikely but I'll hope nonetheless!
G10 really is a gem of a camera otherwise.
(Canon- drop touch screens and go back to the small toggle!!)
(Touch Decoration Feature- really????)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders