XA10 SD Downconvert at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old December 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1
New Boot

XA10 SD Downconvert

A friend of mine is considering the XA10. For his purposes, he still needs quick access to 4:3 SD full-screen (non-letterbox) video from a new camera. I just want to see if anybody can confirm that this can be done through playback via the A/V cable.

Also, it's clear from the promo materials that you can record simultaneously to two memory cards. Is it also possible to record to both the internal memory and a single card at the same time?
Gary Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XA10 SD Downconvert

I've never tried the SD down convert so can't answer that.

You can't record to the cards and internal flash drive at the same time. You can however, make a back up onto a card from the internal memory once you've finished shooting.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Go Cycle

The downconverts are terrible. I use my NLE system to downconvert HD>SD.
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm not sure what 4:3 full screen is, exactly, but at any rate, doesn't the XA10 record in 4:3 mode anyway? I think it does, at least I've seen that on the menu, I thought.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM   #5
New Boot

I'm aware that you can downconvert in a NLE and that there is some sort of downconversion feature built into the camera too.

But here is what what I'm asking:

The footage would be shot in 16:9 HD. But when finished, he wants to quickly playback that footage via the A/V cable on a standard def recorder/monitor. Without the image having letterbox bars or being squeezed, will it fill up the entire screen in a 4:3 ratio? (on my Sony Z5U camera, this is called "edge crop" in the playback menu setting)
Gary Silverman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders