x.v.color - do you use it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old March 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

x.v.color - do you use it?

I did a search on the forum, and there are plenty of topics, but most are quite old and not specific to the Vixias.

Do any of you use it? I'd like to try it but am not sure if our TV supports it. What is the worst that could happen if you record with the option "on" and playback on a screen that doesn't have it?

If you use it, are you happy with the results?

Thanks.
Geoff Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: x.v.color - do you use it?

I've not tried it.
Some interesting info at: xvYCC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If DVD and BD do not support it current value may be limited.
Old March 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link Don, interesting article (so far as articles about colour gamuts can be!).

I've switched it off... :-)
Geoff Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sony published this technical paper: Sony Global - Technology - xvYCC.

X.v.color has been around since 2005, and started showing up in consumer goods around then.

For me, it begs the question why digital video production is still based on the 709 spec..

That would be an interesting technical discussion to have on this board. I too have wondered about using x v color, and have not found any workflow that can use it.
Ray Turcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
...why digital video production is still based on the 709 spec.....
ITU-R Rcommendation B.T. 709 is the official specification for HD video and dates to 1990.
ITU-R 601 is the official spec for DV encoding of SD video, and dates to 1982.

It is used for video production because it is the world-wide standard to ensure compatability.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Turcotte View Post
That would be an interesting technical discussion to have on this board. I too have wondered about using x v color, and have not found any workflow that can use it.
Although the 709 transfer function specifies 16 as black and 241 as white. The 8-bit video rendering path in Sony Vegas processes the full 0 to 254. As a result super blacks and super whites are automatically available when color grading. Note, however, that Adobe Premier may delete the x.v.color information. I'm not sure about other NLEs.

[Premičre] Let's featurerequest/bugreport about superwhite and chromaproblems

There is no harm recording x.v.color mode, because in the worst case, the extra dynamic range is simply ignored.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ok, I’ve been recently more and more paying attention to bit depth and turned this on in my HF S20 last weekend to see what came of it. As noted, despite some misinformation originally that deterred me from using it – stating it couldn’t be displayed, etc. My thoughts were; what could it hurt to have the added headroom?

This now raises a whole new question for me that might best be answered on this forum. I’m seeing that this is actually available in AVCHD – if not other formats. So, if my home player plays ‘AVCHD’ specifically (Panny DMP-BDT220 and Panny ST50 display) – am I missing out to not be trying to encode to AVCHD (not even sure how to do that yet honestly if possible) and keep my video in that format at least for home viewing if not to a standard that others might be able to play?

Is this the ‘deep color’ option that I see referenced and how to achieve it? Blu-ray compliant discs aren’t going to actually play ‘deep color’ – correct?
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders