XA10 cases/transport at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old June 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XA10 cases/transport

Hi Everyone,
This may be a silly question, but I'm just curious to get feedback from others on what cases they use for their XA10s, and how you transport your gear. I know everyone has their own way, and I'd love to hear some ideas. Are you using hard cases? Soft cases? Do you store and transport with the handle attached, or separate? Is there a particular case that you really like? Particular brands? I prefer cases that are compact, and don't look too conspicuously like camera equipment, if anyone has suggestions on that front. All thoughts appreciated. Thank you!
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XA10 cases/transport

One school of thought says go stealth. Use a diaper bag. Few would to a grab and run on it.

What you use will depend in large part on what you are shooting and what you need to bring to the shoot with you, and of course your budget.

Over the years I've used Tamrac, Kata, Lowepro, generic offbrand, and a hardcase or two.

My XA10 is currently using a hand-me-down Tamrac from my GL1. I leave the handle on.
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Major Player

I had to think about how to answer that but Don Just did. It depends on what you're doing and what time of year.

First, I'm not getting into the security aspect. I either watch or have someone watch my equipment all the time.

I have hard cases for all my cameras but they're bulky and unless I'm traveling or taking so much equipment, I'm stacking it, I don't usually use them.

A diaper bag as Don said would make a good case but I use soft coolers, especially in the summer to keep the temperatures down.
The car can get really hot. I melted a set of grips I had on a gun in the glove compartment once so I don't take chances with camera gear.

If I'm using a shoulder rig, it goes as is, set up and ready to use...I'm just careful.

The hard cases are pricy but you can reuse them when you change cameras by just replacing the foam.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Don and Don for these ideas! I really like the diaper bag and soft cooler ideas, never would have thought of those. Thank you!
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Wrangler

Added note: Bags tend be a personal taste item, so if you can, find a dealer with stock and check out as many as you can.

For most purposes I much prefer soft bags and I like a bag that can carry most everything I need for the shoot; e.g., camcorder, batteries, lens adapters and filters, tape (when needed), wireless mic and wired mic, small camcorder light, etc.
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I bought this soft case for a xa10 and it works perfectly for us.

Nikon - Digital SLR Camera Bag - 9793

Camcorder and lav mic fit comfortably along with cables and extra battery.
Paul Elertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

When I transport the XA10 and a DSLR and all the accessories/lenses, like for sports shoots, I use the Ape Case 2000 and when it's just one camera I use a medium size LowePro. At events where I've got two cameras or 3+ lenses I'll bring the ThinkTank ChangeUp.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting, Pete. Can this bag fit the XA10 with handle mounted?

Also, Kawika, do you keep the handle on when you put it in the Ape Case?
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Okawa View Post
Thanks for posting, Pete. Can this bag fit the XA10 with handle mounted?
Assuming you are addressing me, yes it fits with handle still attached.

FYI, this bag has some velcro style dividers that I moved around for my purposes to make it fit properly with a lav mic.
Paul Elertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

SO sorry, Paul! I had just gotten off the phone with a Pete... argh, my bad! Thank you for your response!
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:09 AM   #11
Major Player

with the great new trend of lunchbox guitar amps (amazing low-watt tube tone for recording- i highly recommend the Traynor Darkhorse 15) comes the heavy-duty, extremely well padded carrying bags. i am using the bag that came with the Traynor to carry a HV30 with wide angle lens, mic, Merlin, headphones, batteries, cables, etc. etc. with room to spare. i'm picking up a xa10 this summer and probably another bag like this one:

ZT Amplifiers Lunchbox Amplifier Carry Bag at zZounds
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Okawa View Post
Also, Kawika, do you keep the handle on when you put it in the Ape Case?
I don't because I'm paranoid but the bag is deep enough to easily handle it. The camera just sits a little cock-eyed. GL
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Regular Crew

To get our gear to location we use the Lowepro DV 6500 which can carry both an XF100 and an XA10 plus lots of accessories (DV Multirig, wireless mics, Marshall monitor, batteries, etc)

Aya, for a soft camera bag, I would recommend looking into the Think Tank Photo series (Lighthaus Camera on King St. might have them in stock). Particularly the Urban Disguise 50, the Retrospective 30, or the Multimedia Wired series.

When I'm shooting a beach wedding with the Xf100, the DV6500 bag stays in the car and I usually carry the XA10 as my backup camera in one of those three ThinkTankPhoto bags ( I have way too many bags;-) with the top handle and a wide angle lens attached.

Hope that helps
Todd
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks for these ideas, Brian and Todd. The amp bag looks nice and compact. Great to have that Think Tank reference also. I hadn't heard of them and the Retrospective 30 bag you mentioned, Todd, looks nice and discrete. Its hard to tell from their on-line pics, is there any padding to the form of the bag? or is it more of a canvas material? in the pic online it looks like the outside pockets are pretty thin material. Is that true, or is there any cushioning to the outer pockets? Thanks!
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The bag has a durable canvas exterior, and the inside is padded, but it's not super heavy duty bulky padding. It comes with a bunch of adjustable dividers, so what I've done is use those dividers to line the insides of the bag to give the camera some additional padding.
The pockets themselves are not padded, but they are roomy.

I did a write-up on the Retrospective 30 last year:

Maui Beauty and Glamour Photographer Todd K. Mizomi: Review - Think Tank Retrospective 30

I'm also working on a followup to that post about modifying the bag to make it more suited to carrying a video camera.
Attached Thumbnails
XA10 cases/transport-photo.jpg  
Maui, Hawaii

Last edited by Todd Mizomi; June 26th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders