Replacing Sony HVR-A1E with Canon XA10, option or crazy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old August 28th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Replacing Sony HVR-A1E with Canon XA10, option or crazy?

The Sony HVR-A1E in use with one of my guys has had it's best times. The camera has more than 1500 hours on the drum (and still counting....), is about 5 years old and the tapedoor gives hard times when closing (jumps open again). Now the only lensring the A1E has also broke down (it doesn't move smooth anymore) I think it's time to let it go.

Though the small formfactor of the camcorder, pretty good auto functions and XLR-inputs is what we liked about the A1E. As I'm ruling out the use of tape again and budget is limited the XA10 seems a reasonable option. But how performs it compared to the A1E in terms of: lowlight, HD picture quality, Automatic Iris adapt speed (smooth or not).

Anyone would suggest it as a replacement to the A1E or?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Replacing Sony HVR-A1E with Canon XA10, option or crazy?

The XA10 is far superior to your old camera in image quality. You will only have to adjust to using the iris wheel on the back of the camera and using a lcd menu.

Once you get the hang of it you'll be fine. For the money nothing touches the XA10.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Still confused... Need a small cam with some pro feautures, proper XLR-inputs and even can't be too expensive (looking somewhere around 2000 EUR, say 2300 EUR max. Now in doubt between the XA10, Sony's NX30 and JVC HM-150.

The JVC has the advantage of CCD's versus CMOS (no rolling shutter!). It even has 3 sensors where the others have only 1! Besides that it shoots 35 Mbps at 1920x1080 50i ! (that's the format we use as we shoot newsstuff).

Than the Sony is a more recent camera with it's fantastic stabilization feature. But, as we shoot news and mostly use a tripod this isn't a big deal. The projector looks cool but is pretty usesless imho.

I'm about to rule out the NX30, but what about the others two? XA10 or HM-150? Which cam gives the better picture quality and which one is the best in lowlight? Who has some experiences?
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

JVC has 1/4" sensors. Three of them does not make for a better image. Between the two the XA10 would be my choice.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Which cam gives the better picture quality and which one is the best in lowlight?
Look for formal reviews ofthe products, and/or find a rental place or two that offers both and run your own tests against the environments and tasks you intend to shoot. Technology has improved significantly over the past 5 or so years.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders