Why XA20 clips in Windows Media Player have no sound? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Why XA20 clips in Windows Media Player have no sound?

Hi everyone,

I would be very grateful if someone could help me solve the following problem. I am owner of a Canon XA 10, and I have acquired recently the Canon XA20.
I have Windows 7 - 64 bits. I edit with Premiere Pro CC.
I have noticed that when I import to my computer clips from the XA20, some of them ( about 50%) open in Windows Media Player with no sound. However there is sound. I can hear it when I read the clip in the media section of the camera, as well as in Premiere Pro. (when I import a clip that is mute in WMP it plays correctly in Premiere).

The strange thing is that the other half of the clips, from the same card, play in Windows Media Player with their sound.

That is very disturbing, I need to use these clips in WMP. I never encountered this problem with the XA10.

The settings of the video in the camera aere: AVCHD 28 Mbps LPCM (50P) 1920x1080
Thanks in advance to anyone who could help
Cristiana Bontemps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Why XA20 clips in Windows Media Player have no sound?

If you do not find another solution, can you simply render the clips into any format that WMP can play? Should be fine, then, even if inconvenient. In the meantime, maybe a better solution to the issue will come along.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I do not think that WMP will play AVCHD with LPCM audio. Dolby is fine at any frame rate so if you want to play in WMP use Dolby for the file. Not sure if Quicktime will play the file either. LPCM is good for acquisition but edited file is better with Dolby.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Major Player

I've never been able to play the files from my XA10 using Windows Media Player. However VLC does the job fine.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Wrangler

Which version of WMP adn Windows are you using?

Might be missing the codec you need.
http://download.cnet.com/Media-Playe...-75683928.html might help (but I've not tried it).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders