XA 20 OLED Image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #1
Trustee

XA 20 OLED Image

I just took delivery of a new XA 20.
To my eye, the OLED screen images look a bit flat and washed out.
Even the VF imagery looks a bit more punchy.
When I import the actual footage, it looks great- good color, contrast, exposure, etc., so the issue is just with the screen image.
I'm used to the Sony LED on EX and CX series- all of which provide a strikingly rich image.
Is this par for the course with the XA 20, or is something amiss with this particular camera?
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: XA 20 OLED Image

I think it's par for the course with this camera Robert. I too have been shooting with an XA 20 beside a Sony EX-3 & have tried adjusting the colours to match more closely what I see, & what the EX looks like. I have it a little closer, but really, it's pretty far off the mark at the default settings, & tweaking it only improves it slightly.
Bryce
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Wrangler

Given the dynamic range limitations of modest cost displays, a punchy (contrasty) display may tend to mask shadow and/or highlight details. One could argue that the more important functions of the camera display are framing and focusing the shot, not color/contrast correction. A better display woud bump up the price point.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't think cost is the issue.
The XA 20 has a fairly hi-end OLED HD display.
It has certainly got to be on a par cost-wise with the Sony CX 760 ($1,500).
I'm guessing that maybe Canon has deliberately set the image to be rather flat, perhaps to exhibit the dynamic range of the cam (details in the shadows, etc.).
The Sony LCD images are rather jaw-dropping, so it's a bit of an adjustment for me.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
... I too have been shooting with an XA 20 beside a Sony EX-3 ...
Bryce
Are you able to easily color match the Sony and Canon footage such that you can intercut seamlessly, or is this a big hassle??
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Trustee

I have been using the 2 cameras together but with a Nikon 80-400mm lens on the EX-3 for close ups, & the XA-20 set on a wide shot. I haven't shot them side by side using the stock lens on the EX-3. There is certainly more dynamic range in the EX-3. As far as matching the cams, i'm sure it could be done with picture profiles for the EX-3, but to be honest, I find they cut rather well using that lens & a bit of CC on the EX footage to match the Canon.
All this is outdoors in the forest, so lots of green & brown. Not sure if they would match up as well shooting everyday stuff.
Regards,
Bryce
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree with OP, LED is very flat, much more so than the XA10. I find the images flatter as well, must play with it to tweak it. I have found it challenging under certain conditions to manually set WB with this camera. At times it looks bad no matter what, mainly under certain indoor lighting conditions. Other times it's great. For the price point a 20x zoom is great when coupled with XLR connectors. Sadly, my $500 FZ200 does a better job at full zoom, so the XA20 has lost a bit of it's luster.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders