XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old February 5th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options

With the microphone mount on it is a tight squeeze. It is pictured with a 828 Battery. If you remove the mic mount but leave the handle on it is a superb fit apart from accessing the flipout monitor which is restricted unless you remove the handle.

I would like to see a custom-made rain slicker from the XA20. I know wildlife watch supplies will make custom covers if you give them the dimensions.

Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #17
Tourist

Hello Paul, indeed a tight fit :-(

An opening for the external mic would be nice to.

Is the XA20 placed on the Manfrotto MVH500A head?
John Van den Eede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #18
Major Player

I forgot to mention yesterday that it isn't quite so tight on handheld shots. I've been shooting with the back open and the mic holder removed. I have the shotgun on a boom instead. The rain slicker will do until something better comes available.

Yes, that is a MVH500A Head on a set of 535 sticks. The only change is I'm not using the 500PLONG plate as it is way too long for the XA20. Instead I am happily using a 501PL plate instead. It is pretty much a perfect fit :)
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have a recently purchased Peteol PR405. Last weekend I shot a horse show and was treated to repeated showers and a modest wind. While I can shoot with the OLED open, I found that I was most comfortable using the viewfinder while it was raining. I used the VariZoom VZRock Lanc. If I mounted it about halfway up the panning bar, I could keep it covered.
I am very happy with this rain cover. It accomodates my shotgun mike and has a hood that overhangs the lens.
If you get this, practice putting it on before you must use it as it attaches to the flash mount on the handle. Easy once you figure it out but a bit rough at first.
Pay attention to how it's packaged so you can easily put it away.
I highly recommend it.
Dave O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Kata CRC-13 works fine. I had a Canon GL-2, so I already had the cover. So I figured I would try it the XA-20. I don't use the factory mic mount and I use the BP-828 batteries. It works fine for me on a tripod.
Greenlee Brittenum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for re-activating this older thread; I've been thinking about suitable rain covers for my Canon HF-G10.

Turns out Kata 'merged' with Manfrotto last year:

Kata merges with Manfrotto to become unrivalled in bags! - Kata Joins Manfrotto | Manfrotto

So the Kata CRC-13 PL rain cover is now rebranded under Manfrotto:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819963-REG/Kata_KT_PL_VA_801_13_CRC_13_PL.html

Edit: I'm just wondering though whether the smaller CRC-17 model would be more suitable for casual/impromptu outdoor use with my HF-G10:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059559-REG/manfrotto_mb_pl_crc_17_raincover_17_for_sony_handycams.html

It has no rear opening for the eyepiece, but that would be OK as long as there is enough room to fully open the LCD screen. The other consideration is audio. The CRC-17 lacks the microphone sleeve, so it would depend on what degree/quality of sound could be picked up by the built-in mics through the cover fabric and the underside opening. Feasibly a mounted external mic could be used with the CRC-13. I have an old Sony ECM-908c stereo mic that I used (before switching to a Canon DM-100) with an adapter for attaching to the rear-positioned advanced mini hot shoe plate on the HF-G10, but it would require additional bracketry to bring it forward in line with the lens hood. So probably a bit finicky to put together 'in the moment' and I'm not sure I'd want to put too much stress on that rear mini hot shoe plate. HF-G30 owners of course have the benefit of that extra, forward placed cold-shoe mount. From the product image of the CRC-17 it looks like there wouldn't be enough headroom to attach the DM-100 mic, and even if it did, I can't see that providing any acoustic advantage over the in-built mics - would probably be worse with the cover fabric rubbing against the microphone tube.

Another possibility would be something like a Ewa Marine rain cape. They list the same model VC-1M as being suitable for the entire series of Canon XA and HF-G camcorders, but from the stated dimensions I'm struggling to see how the LCD screen could be fully opened. Probably the screen would need to be folded and rotated out flat against the camcorder body, which wouldn't be much use.

http://www.ewa-marine.com/index.php?...20HF%20G25&L=0

And again, there's the issue of audio to consider, not to mention the pros and cons of putting another piece of glass in front of the lens. Also, it looks like the VC-1M model uses a port adapter ring with a 52mm back thread for attaching to the camcorder, so it would need 58-to-52mm step down ring and I'd wonder then about vignetting.

They do have a model VC-FX1 specifically for the XF100/105 with a 58mm adapter back thread for the glass port.

http://www.ewa-marine.com/index.php?id=707&L=0

Whether it would be too large for the smaller XA20/25 and HF-G cams (given the position of the LCD screen), I'm not sure.

Anyhow, I appreciate that this thread addresses rain covers for the XA20/25 cams specifically, but I'd be interested to know what other HF-G series owners might be using for rain protection as and when the need arises.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; January 8th, 2015 at 07:57 AM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hunt View Post
Are there any other choices available that someone is currently using?

Thanks, Tim
I'm looking for a rain cover myself. I saw this Porta Brace QRS-XA20 that apparently is made specifically for the Canon XA20:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1186448-REG/porta_brace_qrs_xa20_quick_rain_slick.html

I cannot find any actual pictures (not stock photos) of the item in use, or detailed reviews except for the one on the B&H website.

Has anyone had any experience with this rain cover?
Andrew Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders