XA 20 Timecode Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old November 15th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Trustee

XA 20 Timecode Question

Is there any way to turn timecode off such that the XA 20 time display shows only the length of the last clip and automatically resets to zero when you start recording the next clip.
This was not a problem on the XA10, or any of my Sony cams, but now I'm stumped...
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XA 20 Timecode Question

Do understand correctly that you want time code for each clip to start at 0, much as many of the proumer the tape-based camcorders did after a gap (meaning blank tape) in the recording on tape?

There is a manual timecode start setting. Not sure about automatic.
Old November 21st, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Trustee

For this purpose, I'm not actually interested in recording ANY time code.
I just want the on screen counter to tick off the duration of the current clip, then start from zero with the next clip.
So, like for shooting B-roll, if I want 10 sec clips, I can see the count on the display and terminate the shot @ 10 sec., then when starting the next shot, the counter resets to zero.
As I said, it was never a problem to set this up on the XA 10, or any of my many Sony cams, but I can't find a way on the XA 20.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't think it can be set up the way you are looking to do it. To make it worse, it doesn't appear you can assign a custom function button to reset the timecode either. Shame, it had the potential to be such a nice camera. Seems anyone who knew anything about video was on vacation when they wrote the software.

Bob
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Trustee

It is a surprise, particularly in view of the fact that it was a non-issue on the XA 10
In all fairness I should add that IMO the many new features and changes in the XA 20 make it a better cam than the XA 10.
Overall, I'm feeling like the upgrade was worth it to me
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for this post ... I had been wondering the same thing, especially after using the XA-10. I believe that is the DEFAULT mode on the XA-10. But the XA-10 didn't embed timecode, nor have near the options when it came to timecode. So I guess that is the trade-off. However, why there can't be BOTH on the XA-20/25 is a mystery ... seems like a fairly simple software programming addition. Maybe in a firmware update?
Tim Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Trustee

I'll be amazed if they give us a firmware upgrade.
I suspect they will save it all for the Canon XA-30/35...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders