Frame dropouts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old February 13th, 2022, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Frame dropouts

In case anyone is still following this Vixia forum, I try here first.

I have an SF-200. Yes, I realize it is ancient by today' standards. I used it yesterday for the first time since 2019. It has been safely stored in a camera bag in a closet, barry removed. I was using it on AC power yesterday, recording an interview indoors. While logging the recording in Vegas, there were repeated video frame dropouts--i.e., black frames--, one or two frames, peppered throughout, perhaps 15 over hours of recording. I have never had dropouts with this camera before.

Is this just camera aging? Could it have been the flash card (32GB Sandisk)? Is there a remedy?

Thanks.

Last edited by Philip Ulanowsky; February 14th, 2022 at 12:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Philip Ulanowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2022, 03:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Frame dropouts

Do you mean FS200?
How were you ingesting the video into Vegas?
Were there breaks in the audio that corresponding to the dropped video?
The breaks are 1-2 frames in duration and 15 or so over several hours of recording?

I've not run into "drop outs" with video from SD/SDHC cards, at least not with cards at or faster than the recommended speeds for the camcorder..

Some possible approaches:
If the dropouts hit both video and audio equally, are they an issue if you cut the bad frames.
If just video perhaps you could create replacement frames via some frame interpolation or blending
Use cutaways to mask the bad frames
Old February 17th, 2022, 09:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply.

Watching a Vegas Intro video on the web, I followed the recommendation to change fields to Progressive scan, and applied this. Re-viewing the video, the black frames seem to have disappeared.

Despite my desire many years ago to learn video properly, I have only been able to come at it now and again, and remain lost in the jungle of electronics, though I am not entirely incapable in simple cutting/editing. While I am familiar with the difference between progressive and interlaced, competence is not the word to describe my level of accomplishment.
Philip Ulanowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2022, 10:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

Once upon a time things were simple. In the USA for home video there was only NTSC and CRT-based interlaced viewing devices. Computers were not for video, especially home video, and one's choices were essentially VHS or nothing because Beta died. Then came Video8, S-VHS, Hi8, DVD, MiniDV, HDV, Bluray, tapeless recording/storage, several flavors of HD, UHD, plasma, LCD and LED displays, internet streaming video, and the beat goes on.

IMO: if it is a hobby, do what is comfortable and declare victory when you are content with the results.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders