What kind of noise is in this XC15 footage? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders

Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders
All about the Canon XC10 and XC15 4K hybrid stills / video camera.

Old October 31st, 2020, 11:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: What kind of noise is in this XC15 footage?

I think the color and resolution issues are the result of three things.

1. In DR, the video was played at 2x while 1/2 of the audio was played at 1x. This was to emphasize the movement of the water and trees.

2. Light was very low (that was unplanned). There was a heavy overcast. I did quite a bit if tweaking in DR as you can see compared to the source. Low light really limited image detail.

3. Very high detail in the scene, especially with lots of movement taxes the in-camera compression algorithm. This has always held for the Canon XF400, and my previous XA20, both 8 bit. I assume the XC, though intraframe is about as limited as the XF400 in this regard. As I mentioned, the camcorder does not output raw to hdmi, so I believe the output is at least minimally compressed. Maybe this is the source of the luma compression. I tried to get clarification on this in the Canon forum without luck.

As for grading the clip, I am pretty new and still work by youtube tutorial :)

The 2 second clip I linked was the full resolution prores output. So that would only be limited by 2 and 3 above.

I don't think the recorder is the issue. Atomos recorders are the widest selling and are very revered.

Last edited by Nick Mirro; November 1st, 2020 at 10:17 PM.
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders