Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old March 15th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #241
Major Player

Exciting.
To me, the 2 most important things they have to work out to make this worthwhile is a manual focus ring and a "proper" viewfinder.
Those 2 factors where what made me sell my XL-H1 the day the EX-3 came out.
The H1 produced stunning pictures, specially the winter action sports I shot with it were great, but when the light level were low I had no way of controlling focus and I shoot manual 99% of the time.

The bottom line is the EX-3 made me jump ship after years with Canon, but i doubt the new Canon would make me jump back. They just took too long.

I hope they come out with something that might have me consider the camera though, nothing like a bit of competition.
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #242
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
They just took too long.
- Yes.

Quote:
I hope they come out with something that might have me consider the camera though, nothing like a bit of competition.
- Yes again.

Grazie
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #243
Inner Circle

Joachim, I mentioned exactly those 2 things myself, very very important. The VF on the EX3, for a small camera is really really good, same with the manual focus and iris.
Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Steve
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #244
Major Player

Steve, you are certainly right about the EX-3 viewfinder.
Itīs interesting to see how Sony now has a high-end color viewfinder for the XDCAM HD 700 camera. It is truly great and I find itīs a pain to go back to B/W viewfinders.

Iīm sure canon comes out with something good, they certainly knows how to make great glass.

But as said before I think they lost a few customers waiting this long to come out with a solid state camera.
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #245
Trustee

Quote:
I think they lost a few customers waiting this long to come out with a solid state camera.
hey, it's never too late, just make sensor 2/3", or better yet APS-C - I'll switch just like that :)
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #246
Major Player

Remember, one person's perfect camera is another's something to complain about. It will be a really good camera with a great codec and, while it migh not be perfect to everyone, it will be another great tool at our disposal. I look forward to seeing it at NAB.......if its there!

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #247
Major Player

Well I understand this camera maybe of no interest to some, but I can't wait to sell my current XHA1 for it. To be able to record solid state without the need to transcode, and finally have a lens that will focus while zooming and have crisp LCD image. I'm wide awake and waiting in line.
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #248
Major Player

And here we are seeing what Jim said just in bright lights using 0DB gain!

I too am awaiting what this camera will be (the XL version of it).
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders