DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon introduces XF105 and XF100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/484083-canon-introduces-xf105-xf100.html)

Andy Solaini February 17th, 2011 01:32 PM

I am very interested to hear some first hand experience of the XF100.

Still finding my XF300 a bit too big to be practical for my needs (travel outside UK) and am still wondering about a downgrade to the XF100.

Flemming Bo Hansen February 17th, 2011 03:47 PM

Long overdue

Thanks Andy for letting us in on your inspiring dates with the XF100/105. You posed the question: “…does anyone know, can you review the last clip whilst still in camera mode or not?”

I think you can, at least in normal recording mode. It’s described in the manual (NTSC) on page 87.

Link to the NTSC XF100/105 manual:
Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : XF100

Long overdue.
I’m expecting my baby Monday or Tuesday.

Jim Martin February 17th, 2011 04:29 PM

Our 1st XF100 just arrived (sorry, already taken by one of our fellow posters) and expect some 105s tommorow.....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Andy Solaini February 17th, 2011 06:03 PM

I know it's very early days but if anyone who gets an XF100/05 and also has an XF300 can you make some comments on how much they differ quality wise. I know it's going to be a bit but if it's only a tiny bit then I might well downgrade to an XF100 for the portability.

Philip Lipetz February 17th, 2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 1619229)
Our 1st XF100 just arrived (sorry, already taken by one of our fellow posters) and expect some 105s tommorow.....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Yes! Yes! Yes! It is going to a member of our team. I get my turn on Wed. If anyone wants any particular tests I would be happy, work permitting, to to do them.

BTW: Working with Jim Martin and FilmTools was great, a smaller house that caters to working cinematographers.

Rob Katz February 18th, 2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flemming Bo Hansen (Post 1619211)
Thanks Andy for letting us in on your inspiring dates with the XF100/105. You posed the question: “…does anyone know, can you review the last clip whilst still in camera mode or not?”

I think you can, at least in normal recording mode. It’s described in the manual (NTSC) on page 87.

Long overdue.

flemming-

thank you for providing a link to the needed info.

i see in the manual pg87 that the last clip is accessible. terrific.

does anyone know if when accessing the clip there is also audio from that clip?

i believe there was a similar issue raised when the xf305/300 was released and-i could be wrong-but the last clip did not come with audio.

as i said, i could be wrong but i do remember the issue being raised.

i look forward to anybody who can confirm that that last clip can be reviewed AND reviewed with audio.

thanks in advance to all who care to share.

be well

rob

Federico Perale February 19th, 2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flemming Bo Hansen (Post 1619211)

I think you can, at least in normal recording mode. It’s described in the manual (NTSC)

Long overdue.

Just curious about the reference to ntsc; isn't the xf100 multi-standard (50/60)?

Philip Lipetz February 19th, 2011 03:32 AM

No, unfortunately that takes a service center upgrade.

Flemming Bo Hansen February 19th, 2011 03:41 AM

PDF manuals

You’re right Rob, there is also no audio on XF300/305, when reviewing last clip in Camera mode.

From page 87 in the XF100/105 NTSC manual:

“When the camcorder is in [CAMERA] mode, you can review the last clip that was recorded…………….
After you finish recording, press the [<] button.
The last clip that was recorded is played back without audio for the selected duration.”

To playback clips with audio, you have to switch operating mode from Camera to Media (Page 110)

PDF manuals are extremely quick. (click find)

The PAL manual is not on the canon website yet

Link to XF100/105 NTSC manual:

Andy Solaini February 19th, 2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federico Perale (Post 1619712)
Just curious about the reference to ntsc; isn't the xf100 multi-standard (50/60)?

Neither is the XF300/05.

Rob Katz February 19th, 2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flemming Bo Hansen (Post 1619715)
You’re right Rob, there is also no audio on XF300/305, when reviewing last clip in Camera mode.

From page 87 in the XF100/105 NTSC manual:

“When the camcorder is in [CAMERA] mode, you can review the last clip that was recorded…………….
After you finish recording, press the [<] button.
The last clip that was recorded is played back without audio for the selected duration.”

To playback clips with audio, you have to switch operating mode from Camera to Media (Page 110)

PDF manuals are extremely quick. (click find)

The PAL manual is not on the canon website yet

Link to XF100/105 NTSC manual:

flemming-

thanks for the info.

i'm not sure why the good folks at canon would not include audio in the "clip review".

there are times i truly believe that engineers & salespeople develop these cameras and not working film-makers.

ymmv

be well

rob

Philip Lipetz February 22nd, 2011 08:36 AM

Re: Canon introduces XF105 and XF100

XF105 ungraded. A commercial piece about light systems, but the indoor shots of the light are at 24db and also show lens flare resistance.

Our team's XF100 is supposed to arrive today. Hopefully, I will get my hands on it soon and post some test shots. Anxious to test the audio preamps also, heard they are better than most.

Charles W. Hull February 22nd, 2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz (Post 1620752)
Our team's XF100 is supposed to arrive today. Hopefully, I will get my hands on it soon and post some test shots. Anxious to test the audio preamps also, heard they are better than most.

My XF100 shipped today from Adorama. I'm really getting tired of reading the manual!

Tim Polster February 23rd, 2011 09:24 AM

I have to say this camera is looking to be quite the tool for $3000. The comparison to the DVX-100 might be true for the HD era. The size is really welcomed for a lower priced camera as the EX-1/XF-300 size is just too big & heavy to handhold for a long time.

The infrared feature in the Canon line is really smart. Canon seems to on a roll with this line.

Federico Perale February 23rd, 2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1621183)
as the EX-1/XF-300 size is just too big & heavy to handhold for a long time.

couldn't agree more as a EX1r owner....
no matter what, still too heavy, although splendid image and on a class if its own for low light