Import clips > 5 min into Premiere Pro efficiently ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Import clips > 5 min into Premiere Pro efficiently ?

I'm wondering what the best way to import clips > 2 GB into Premiere Pro (CS5) is?

It seems error-prone and unnecessary to have to individually handle many 5 minute / 2 GB files for longer clips, when they should be concatenated into a single larger file for processing, as NTFS can handle larger files.

I would have thought that this is something XF Utilty would have done, but at least as I've tried it, it doesn't.

I've just been importing individual MXF files into CS5. And that too seems to be more work than should be necessary: I've had to go into each clip directory to select the individual MXF files on import. PP should be able to be pointed at the parent directory of the clip directories and find importable video (and maybe the associated XMP metadata to go with them.)

The PP metadata /media display would be more useful displaying information for logical clips instead of physical file segments of a clip e.g. log notes, description

I have (and will continue to record) a lot of interview and music performance video, much which is longer clips than 5 min. It would be nice to have a smoother workflow.

So... tell me the obvious that I've overlooked ;-)

Brett

Last edited by Brett Delmage; September 18th, 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: corrected 4GB -> 2GB max MXF file size
Brett Delmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
New Boot

Brett,

I have not tried this yet, but this might help.

TSSplitter - Official Website

Greg
Greg Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gerber View Post
Brett,

I have not tried this yet, but this might help.

TSSplitter - Official Website

Greg
Thanks Greg.

Interesting. I tried it, and it generated a 16 GB combined file from 9 files. That file locked up PP on import, as did my file created by simply cat'ing the files together. Either both approaches mess up the headers (?) or PPro can't handle the larger, combined file for some reason.

Perhaps I should take this discussion to the Premiere or even an Adobe forum now. But if I missed magic combining that the XF Utility can do, I welcome someone pointing that out.

cheers

Brett
Brett Delmage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders