MacRitchie - Canon XF305 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Right Noa, but you introduced the comparison, it's not really fair to have it both ways. The XF is twice the price of the XH where I live and worth every penny.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #17
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The xf300 is actually not comparable with a xh, it's 3 times the cost of what I paid for my xh-a1 three years ago so one would expect it to be a higher end model. Logically I would think a xf200 would fill the gap and replace the xh-a1 but I also think it will be almost twice the price of a xh-a1.
Aren't you the one who said the XF300 and the XH-A1 had comparable video images?

And there is no XF200. Since the camera doesn't exist, it's hard to put a price tag on it. Unless you were referring to the upcoming XF100/105. The price hasn't been announced yet.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Inner Circle

No I did not say it has comparable images...On vimeo compressed, yes, to me it looks like xh-a1 footage, a frame directly from the camera however shows much better quality, thats what i said (not going to repeat it again :)

And reg price, I paid 3000 euro for my xh-a1, the xf300 is between 7500 and 8500, I'd expect it to be better then.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Wow that price is insane.

Have you ever been to the Southern Hemisphere Noa? The flight to New Zealand is a little onerous from Belgium but survivable (my brother lived in Gent for a time).

You can fly down, take a two week break to check out the Southern Alps and try out your new camera, fly home and you'll still have money to spare.

I bought the XF300 for equivalent of E4850 with full Canon warranty from my local camera shop. It's cheaper than the EX1 here, and of course the media is much cheaper, so this made the Canon more compelling. The XHA1S sells for E3800 at the same shop, or 78%. Go figure?
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:19 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Wow that price is insane
A sony ex3 is 8200 euro here...so the xf300 is just a bit less, not so sure which of the 2 i'd choose :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:39 AM   #21
Regular Crew

The raw is 50Mbps... and then I compressed to 10Mbps WMV... and then vimeo compresses it once more...

So well... the vimeo video is only an idea of what the camera can do. That's why I explicitly made a comment in my impressions that the image "looks very clean and detailed when view in post and any artifacts are largely due to the WMV compression".

But the colours you see from vimeo is very close to the raw so that gives a rather accurate idea.

For some unclear reason, I find WMV (using flip4mac) to be more accurate in colours than using H.264 encoder in compressor. Otherwise H.264 has less artifacts.
Ng Chee Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:46 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Like you, I also find it's possible to brace this camera effectively against the shoulder for short periods.
me too.

Quote:
a few times I've had trouble locking the CF doors shut. Haven't heard anyone else mention this but I find it tricky and often have to insert the cards a couple of times to get the CF doors locked in place.
Sometimes I not fully pushed the CF eject button back down after ejecting a card and before putting a new one in. Then the button sticks out and can cause a problem. Could that be your issue?
Brett Delmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg View Post
Wow that price is insane.

Have you ever been to the Southern Hemisphere Noa? The flight to New Zealand is a little onerous from Belgium but survivable (my brother lived in Gent for a time).

You can fly down, take a two week break to check out the Southern Alps and try out your new camera, fly home and you'll still have money to spare.

I bought the XF300 for equivalent of E4850 with full Canon warranty from my local camera shop. It's cheaper than the EX1 here, and of course the media is much cheaper, so this made the Canon more compelling. The XHA1S sells for E3800 at the same shop, or 78%. Go figure?
Does that include sales tax? Normally you can reclaim sales tax (VAT, TVA or whatever your local flavour is called) when you leave the country.

What about mail order? Even with shipping plus 20% VAT & 5.9% customs duty on camcorders it would still be a lot cheaper than the price here in Europe.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders