Have I made a mistake getting XF300! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I suggest that you actually try using an XF100 before your replace your XF300. It really is very tiny. I used to have a Sony HVR-A1 which is a similar size & found that compared to my then main camera (Canon XH-A1) it was far too small & fiddly to operate. That's not just because I have fingers like sausages but also the lack of dedicated buttons meant fiddling with menus to change settings was very inconvenient & time consuming.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Major Player

That makes a lot of sense. One of the many things I like about the XF300 is that all the most used buttons are on the body so you can change settings with just the flick of a switch or press of a button.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #18
Major Player

The XF300 fits comfortably in a Lowepro Phototrekker and plenty of of their other bags ( I have collected several over the years. carry on is not an issue, for even Ryanair. The only thing to be wary of is the mic mount.

I tink you would regret the XF100, lovely camera, but look at the zoom capabilities
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for the comment Nick. It's go to know that that size definitely will go on Ryanair. It's still not big enough to get my stills camera/lenses in as well, but I'm beginning to thing that just won't happen.

I was in Decathlon (a cheapish sports store for those that don't know this company) last night and had a look at their bags. I noticed bags like this one for £19. Decathlon - luggage - transport - security bags backpack QUECHUA - Forclaz 40 QUECHUA - men or women on a HIKE or travelling over a 1 to 2-day period. The red zip goes round the edge of the back like a standard camera bag and there was quite a bit of room inside. Anyone had any experience of making a camera bag like this out of a normal bag and adding some protective foam?
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
And Buba...for the question about needing both cameras, it is a necessity for me as well as I cover any type of shooting that may come up. It's been covered to death on the forum but in a nutshell, dslrs are not a replacement for a camcorder, they are a supplement.
Robert...
I respect your personal opinion, but let's try not to put any global labels on anything; just the fact that you prefer to use a camcorder doesn’t make DSLR a supplement; because thousands of people, including top names in the industry, creating masterpieces with DSLRs without even knowing that it’s just a supplement to a ‘real’ camcorder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders