Settings questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 14th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Settings questions

First off sorry if these are silly questions but I'm still feeling my way with video coming from photography.

1) What are the different AF modes used for? I have mine on Instant and it seems to focus better than on Normal, especially when zooming in.

2) What are the best gain setting for the Low, Mid and High switch?

3) Should I have the Focus Limit set to ON for normal use?

4) What noise reduction settings are best?
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Andy,

I'm writing an answer as though you're refering to the XF300/305.
I can help you with a few of your questions:

1) The XF has a few AF modes like Instant, Normal and Face Detection AF. If you look at the lens of your camera you'll notice a small sensor to the left of the lens. This is the Instant AF sensor - it emits an infrared beam that bounces off a subject in front of the camera and is received by the sensor again. It helps the camera judge the distance of the subject - therefore focusing the camera on the subject instantly. Pretty neat feature! Normal AF will disable this function and rely on the camera to focus on the subject using triangulation (I think) - a slightly slower focusing method. I think Instant AF shines as a feature when you deal with low light. It is harder for the camera to find its focus when there are less contrasting edges to focus upon without the assistance of the Instant AF feature.

2) The gain settings for Low, Medium and High are completely up to you. I have mine set to 0dB for L, 6dB for M, and 12 dB for H. If I require higher gain settings instantly, I'd flick into AGC for the camera to push beyond 12dB up to 21dB.

3) For normal use I would have the focus limit set to OFF. When your focus ring is set to servo mode (ie, not in manual focus as set ON THE RING) you are able to achieve macro focus functions of distances less than 1m. If you have the focus limit on, your servo mode will replicate the range of focus distances achievable when your focus ring is set to manual mode on the focus ring. Have a play around with setting your camera's focus between manual and servo on the the focus ring, and enabling/disabling the focus limit function to see the difference.

4) I haven't had a play with the noise reduction settings on the XF just yet.

Andrew
Andrew Strugnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Solaini View Post
First off sorry if these are silly questions but I'm still feeling my way with video coming from photography.

1) What are the different AF modes used for? I have mine on Instant and it seems to focus better than on Normal, especially when zooming in.

i have only used the 305 for a weekend but i thought i read where many xf305/300 owners are setting the gain at low: -6db - mid: 0 - high +6db (or even higher for those moments when u need the gain)

i've read that the camera's sweet spot was -6db.

i'm sure others will have an opinion.

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Get the Vortex DVD on the 305/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Solaini View Post

I recommend you get Doug Jensen's Vortex Media DVD on the 305/300. He covers all the settings in detail and the footage he has shot with this camera is the best I've seen. I'm reviewing the DVD for the third time and learn something new each time.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders